Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #1  

aradsma

Hi All,

I have a JD 110TLB with a Lauren cab I purchased used about a year ago. I love the tractor's versatility, but this thing sure is tippy. I've had traditional farm tractors before with weighted tires that never once felt like they would tip. When I get in the 110, it feels like it is going to tip right over anytime one side of the tractor is 4" above the other side. I don't go on big grades or hills, just driving around my property with very gradual slopes. Even just riding on a field that has been worked up I get nervous.

The tractor does not have weighted tires, and I haven't weighted them since I need to move it around on the roads. Is weighting the tires the only way to make this thing stable?

The rear tires are at about 16psi and the fronts are 50psi.

Thanks!

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #2  
Hi All,

I have a JD 110TLB with a Lauren cab I purchased used about a year ago. I love the tractor's versatility, but this thing sure is tippy. I've had traditional farm tractors before with weighted tires that never once felt like they would tip. When I get in the 110, it feels like it is going to tip right over anytime one side of the tractor is 4" above the other side. I don't go on big grades or hills, just driving around my property with very gradual slopes. Even just riding on a field that has been worked up I get nervous.

The tractor does not have weighted tires, and I haven't weighted them since I need to move it around on the roads. Is weighting the tires the only way to make this thing stable?

The rear tires are at about 16psi and the fronts are 50psi.

Thanks!

Welcome to TBN. Short wheel base tractor and narrow width coupled with a cab and backhoe attachment sticking 9'1/2' in the air can be a problem...

I installed 2" wheel spacers on each rear axle of my 110 - 'cause it was such a PITA to put the tire chains on!!!

I used wheel spacers from a Bobcat 863 skid-steer. There are many posts here on TBN regarding wheel spacers - especially JD 3000 series cab tractors - and some references to JD 4000 machines.

Unverferth is one manufacturer oftentimes discussed. When I researched them; they were very expensive for 30lbs of machined lug-bolt holes.. nearly $900! :eek:

Have less than $300 in the Bobcat spacers. Check out the JD owner's and operator's forum.

AKfish

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #3  
I suggest you fill those tires. It'll definitely help with stability...partially offsetting the weight of the cab and backhoe's weight.
Before you buy spacers, see if you can adjust the hub on the rim (probably can if you have Ag tires, probably not if you have Industrials or turfs) or swap the tires by reversing them or swapping side to side. Reversing my turfs increased the spacing by a good 4" (going to be a real pain to check inflation though).
I'd guess your 110 has industrials, so that's a side to side swap since the tires (pronounced "tars") are unidirectional.

Last edited:
   / Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #4  
adding ballast to the tires helps signifigantly. My Yanmar is only 40" wide but i can use it on slopes that i cant run my Dad's 3720 on. Also, It takes time to find the real tipping limit. I have run my Dad's 3720 for 5 yeras and can use it on slopes that i wouldnt have ever tried a few years ago.

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #5  
I think the wheel spacers suggested by AKfish is a good idea. What I do is drop the stabilizers if necessary. I live in the mountains and have operated mine on some fairly steep slopes without a problem.

Weighting the tires will help too but I have been hesitant to do this since the 110 with the cab is over 8000 lbs and more weight would seem to tax the 43 hp motor.

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #6  
Weighting the tires will help too but I have been hesitant to do this since the 110 with the cab is over 8000 lbs and more weight would seem to tax the 43 hp motor.

If I recall correctly... Deere does NOT recommend weight in the tires for the 110 TLB.

You might discover that the hoe stabilizers will suffer "steel altering forces" with the added 1,000 lbs per tire! :eek: If nothing else, I can imagine that the hyd cylinder's on the stabilizer's would begin to leak sooner than they would with "normal" use.

I've dropped my stabilizers when things got a little "iffy" and I've also turned the hoe towards the uphill slant, too.

But, all in all; I haven't felt any more "unstable" on the 110 than other tractor's I've operated over the years. Matter of fact, I have yet to "pop a wheelie" with the 110; cresting out over the top edge of a ditch, etc.!!! (And I've done that a couple of times with other machines - not intentionally - that's for sure!)

AKfish

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #7  
Extending the hoe to the uphill side has worked wonders for me, as well as partially lowering the stabilizers.

I have the R&B tilt meter and try to stay under 10 degrees of side tilt, although I have had it over 15 with no tip over.

The only time I have felt anywhere near tipping was when I had the machine in a very bad position and was lifting large rocks with the thumb and placing them almost completely to one side and below me. When it started to tip, I just dropped the hoe to the ground and slid the rock down to its desired position.

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #8  
If I recall correctly... Deere does NOT recommend weight in the tires for the 110 TLB.

You might discover that the hoe stabilizers will suffer "steel altering forces" with the added 1,000 lbs per tire! :eek: If nothing else, I can imagine that the hyd cylinder's on the stabilizer's would begin to leak sooner than they would with "normal" use.

I've dropped my stabilizers when things got a little "iffy" and I've also turned the hoe towards the uphill slant, too.

But, all in all; I haven't felt any more "unstable" on the 110 than other tractor's I've operated over the years. Matter of fact, I have yet to "pop a wheelie" with the 110; cresting out over the top edge of a ditch, etc.!!! (And I've done that a couple of times with other machines - not intentionally - that's for sure!)

AKfish

Again good points AK, I certainly wouldn't add a thousand pounds per tire nor have I found any of this to be an issue of concern after five years of operating with the cab. As we all know operating a tractor of any kind requires a great deal of judgement and seat time, that said it is hard to convey our own experiences sometimes. I would think that all operators of equipment need a sort of built in tilt meter that ties the brain to the pit of your stomach.:D If necessary the connection can go lower.

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #9  
I find it interesting that some of you look at adding ballast to the rear tires as an issue with these commercial TLB's. The JD 110 and the Kubota TLB line are much more robust than the CUT models where people do it routinely with a backhoe added. Personally I felt like it was the best and cheapest improvement to my Kubota L39's capabilities and stability I have made. It is sure the standard for these tractors being used on commercial sites, though they normally go with foam for weight and puncture resistance. I understand some of the manuals talk against it. Kubota is ridiculous in my manual. They say load the tires when the backhoe is removed and unload them when the backhoe is installed. Who is going to do that? Has to be a legal liability thing rather than an equipment capability thing.

MarkV

/ Tippy tractor - JD 110TLB #10  
It is sure the standard for these tractors being used on commercial sites, though they normally go with foam for weight and puncture resistance. I understand some of the manuals talk against it. Kubota is ridiculous in my manual. They say load the tires when the backhoe is removed and unload them when the backhoe is installed. Who is going to do that? Has to be a legal liability thing rather than an equipment capability thing.

MarkV

I wouldn't completely disagree with your conclusions... I think the Deere manual is recommending essentially the same thing -- add weight with the hoe off -- remove weight with the hoe on. Completely impractical!

That said; when I'm working the hoe - those legs can "disappear" way down there in the muck and mud... and the flex and bend - back and forth - at times with one leg on good solid footing and the other not; is significant! I just don't think that adding another ton to the rear of my tractor without recognizing the possibility that I might be "pushing" the design limits of the machine is sensible.

But, I'm on the conservative side with my equipment. I don't forget how hard I've had to work to get what I have.. and how hard it will be to replace it if I wreck it..

AKfish