Oil & Fuel Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms...

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms... #1  

hondarider

Bronze Member
This stalling problem started last year. It was just die. I would restart the tractor and it would run again for a while then died again. I thought I fixed it by replacing the fuel filter.

Lately, this symptom came back. Again, I replaced the fuel filter but the problem still persists. If I prime it again, it would run for a while.

Is it air/water in the fuel system? Am I not venting it correctly?
Is the fuel lift pump the problem?
Is the strainer in the lift pump clogged?
Something between the fuel tank and the lift pump?

I'm going out of my mind....

2003 Terec/Fermec TX650 Skip Loader
80HP
4 cylinder diesel

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms... #2  
I had a similar problem one time and it was junk in the fuel tank blocking the fuel flow. If your filter bowl is clear and you can watch it when the tractor is starving it will tell you if the fuel is reaching the filter. It is also a good idea to blow out the lines with compressed air to make sure there isn't a partial blockage. If there is plenty of fuel in the filter bowl then you may be looking more at injector pumps.

MarkV

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms...
update:

It continues to stall after 15-30 minutes of work. I've had to operate the fuel lift pump manually to get it started again.

Is the fuel lift pump the problem? I can see fuel in the fuel filter bowl.

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms...
Can someone explain the flow of fuel from this schematic?

View Parts List

One goes to the fuel filter and another goes to a fuel pump? How does that work?

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms... #5  
As a guess ... hose #9 transfers fuel to lift pump, hose #4 gets it to the filter, and hose #2 is the return line to the tank

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms... #6  
Have you checked the vent in the fuel tank cap? If its plugged, it doesnt take long to form a vacuum in the tank and can cause a problem such as you discribe.
Loosen the cap so it can draw air around it and test. if the problem goes away, you know its a tank venting problem

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms... #7  
Kinda doubt its this now, but perhaps add it to your list of stuff to check.

This winter, I had a fuel starving problem when moving snow and running on the tractor's first tank of off road fuel (had been using B5). Thought it was maybe water. Took the 3 containers back to the fuel station. They called the distributor who came and checked the station's fuel for water and the fuel in my container I'd taken fuel from. Said they were both clear of water. So, I convinced him to let me pour all 3 back into the station's tank and refund my money. I bought 3 containers of B5.

Well home and siphoned out the tank and looked in there. There were 2 globs of white waxy material down by the outlet hole from the tank. I fished those out and refilled the tank with the B5. No problems since.

Read either on this or the VW TDI forum about wax drop out in ULSD at temperatures below 10 F. Guess that's what happened.

Ralph

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms... #8  
got a fuel valve at the tank? have yhou checked fuel flow from it? and at each step of the delivery system?

sounds like starvation due to an obstruction...

soundguy

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms... #9  
It's either starving because of a blockage on the suction side or a blocked tank vent or a suction leak. The suction leak is acommon problem where the tank is below the lift pump. Air gets sucked in and accumulates until the engine stalls. Then bleeding the system fixes it for a while.

Try to find out if it's getting air or not getting fuel.

Look for air at the injection pump by cracking the line from the filter and cracking the injection lines. If that's not it, blow backwards through the intake of the lift pump to the tank with a compressor. That's a start at least and will clear the tank screen. Also, pumps can get blocked on their intake side if they are drawing directly from the tank before the filter. And they cannot be blown backward to flush them out. So you have to pull the line and look for something in there.

Mine kept stalling and I found a small piece of plastic in the fuel line from the tank at the filter inlet. It had blocked the hole in the fitting on the intake side of the fuel filter. Weird.

/ Stalling Starving for fuel symptoms... #10  
It's either starving because of a blockage on the suction side or a blocked tank vent or a suction leak. The suction leak is acommon problem where the tank is below the lift pump. Air gets sucked in and accumulates until the engine stalls. Then bleeding the system fixes it for a while.

Try to find out if it's getting air or not getting fuel.

Look for air at the injection pump by cracking the line from the filter and cracking the injection lines. If that's not it, blow backwards through the intake of the lift pump to the tank with a compressor. That's a start at least and will clear the tank screen. Also, pumps can get blocked on their intake side if they are drawing directly from the tank before the filter. And they cannot be blown backward to flush them out. So you have to pull the line and look for something in there.

Mine kept stalling and I found a small piece of plastic in the fuel line from the tank at the filter inlet. It had blocked the hole in the fitting on the intake side of the fuel filter. Weird.