Noise Canceling earphones

/ Noise Canceling earphones #21  
I've been wearing the Peltor Worktunes for several years. I enjoy working and listening to NPR on Saturday mornings. I'm on my second pair.
They work great, but as hot as it has been this year they get wet with sweat and a little uncomfortable.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #22  
A much cheaper, and nearly as good, NR headphones are the Audio technica ATH-ANC7B. About $90. I tried them and the Bose. Couldn't tell much difference.

I also tested several industrial quality active noise canceling headphones and the best ones were Noisebusters. The quality of construction is excellent and they allow for audio input via a 3.5 mm jack. They are also reasonably priced at less than half of other industrials. Check them out at Electronic Hearing Protection, Active Noise Canceling Headphones, Industrial Safety Earmuffs | Pro Tech NoiseBuster

/ Noise Canceling earphones #23  
What about an in-ear monitor like JVC Marshmallows? I've read good things about these headphones on other forums. I would have gotten a pair, but I just don't like sticking things in my ears. :confused2: I've seen these at WalMart. They come in all sorts of colors.

Amazon.com: JVC HAFX34B Marshmallow Headphones: Electronics

/ Noise Canceling earphones #24  
These work well if you have music stored on your phone, they block outside noise and have good sound.

$64.40 + $2.98 shipping

In Stock. Sold by Accessories Wholesale
Quantity: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930​

or
Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering.

Express Checkout with PayPhrase

What's this? | Create PayPhrase
More Buying Choices
SF Planet Add to Cart $64.41 + $2.98 shipping
ShopCell Add to Cart $67.45 + Free Shipping
CCMACCESSORIES Add to Cart $63.69 + $3.95 shipping
20 used & new from $48.99

21BMcm8efDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

/ Noise Canceling earphones #25  
I use noise reduction/cancelling earbuds in my XM radio or MP3 player. They are fairly cheap and have a lifetime warranty.

Maximo Products / Headsets

I bought mine when they were on sale at woot.com, I would never pay retail for these.

I also have an armband that allows me to put the mp3 or xm on my arm instead of on my belt or on the equipment. When I turn off the music, or don't bring the music with me, I can hear the engine and the mower, but my ears don't ring when I am done.

I'll never get on the tractor for more than 10 minutes without them in again.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #26  
Saturday, July 21, 2007 I posted this on the forum
Your thread got me curious so I went looking for my sound pressure level meter and did a few measurements:
In the following listing, some readings are typical and are published and some are my measurements.
10db threshold of hearing
50db speech
64db I measured roadside traffic noise at 50 feet
66db Comfortable music sound level in the earcups of a Peltor FM digital receiver headset (26db atten.)
70db vacuum cleaner at 10 feet
74db I measured my Miata convertible with the top up from the driver痴 seat at 50mph on an asphalt road
74db I measured my JD2320 tractor stationary and idling at 1500rpm from the driver痴 seat
80db heavy traffic
84db I measured my Miata convertible with the top down from the driver痴 seat at 50 mph on an asphalt road
85db tractors with soundproof cabs
85db I measured my JD2320 tractor stationary idling at 3000rpm
89db I measured my Honda HCV160/22 rotary self propelled mower
90db I measured my 6hp/22 rotary push mower
99db I measured my weed whacker
100db tractors w/o soundproof cabs and farm machines
120db chainsaw and jackhammer
130db jet takeoff at 200 feet
140db threshold of pain
180db The volcano Krakatoa in Sumatra-Java (26Aug1883) at a distance of 100 miles. This explosion was heard 2000 miles away in Australia and was the loudest noise ever heard by modern man.
200db Instant death

And here's another listing on permissible sound level exposure from the U.S. Department of Labor
8 hours 90db
6 hours 92db
4 hours 95db
2 hours 100db
.25 hours or less 115db

So, looking at the above data and guidelines leads one to the conclusion that it is not necessary to have ear protection on the JD2320 even operating at maximum rpm. Also I should not exceed 2 hours per day weed whacking without protection. As for the chain saw, protection is mandatory.

Science fact break:
The decibel scale is defined as ten times the logarithm(base 10) of the ratio of two sound power levels.
Ie. 10 * log (P1/P2) So if one level is twice another level then the decibel difference is 3db (the log of two is .303). In other words, on the decibel scale the sound pressure doubles or halfs with every 3 decibel change. The sound pressure at 200 dB is 10000000000 times greater than sound pressure at 100 dB. That is why it kills.
3db is the smallest increment that the human ear can detect. If your sound protection is 30db, then it should reduce chainsaw noise (120db) to 90db which is tolerable for 8 hours exposure according to OSHA.

When measured at my ear location while mowing, my Honda HCV160 self propelled lawn mower creates a measured 89db of noise. And Peltor's digital FM radio headset has an advertised earcup attenuation of 26db.
89db minus 26 db is 63db of mower noise inside the ear cups.

A comfortable sound level of rock n'roll (while mowing) in the Peltor headset is a measured 66db. The music sound level was adjusted while mowing and then it was measured in the ear cups with the engine turned off.
63db mower engine noise plus 66db rock n'roll noise equals 67.7db total noise.
That痴 about half the noise level of a vacuum cleaner at 10 feet.

By the way, I don't normally listen to rock n'roll and I did finish mowing. And I wear ear protection when using all my small engines like lawnmower, weed whacker, motor scooter, motorcycle, JD2320 tractor.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #27  
I have a pair of Bose QC3 headphones that I use sometimes when I'm cutting grass. The only problem is sometimes when I'm "jamming" I notice that I've got the volume up too loud.... I also have a set of noise isolation ear buds from Sony that I prefer, because the headphones are just too hot.

I recently returned to Bose my old pair of QC2 headphones for repair (foam earpads and headband were deteriorating) and for the sum of about $85, I received a pair of their new Bose QC15 headphones in exchange. Keep in mind the regular price of the QC15s is $299, so I thought the deal was pretty good. Anyway, these things are AWESOME. They work so well that I thought my tractor RPMs were not where they should be (about 2500 rpm) for mowing and that my RFM wasn't engaged!!! - until I checked the dash panel and gages. If I understand the new Bose technology correctly, they not only cancel the noise from the outside, but have an additional feature that additional noise cancelling is applied to any noise that still is present on the inside of the phones afterwards. Anyway, these things may be pricey, but I doubt if there is any that work as well or sound as good.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #28  
What about an in-ear monitor like JVC Marshmallows? I've read good things about these headphones on other forums. I would have gotten a pair, but I just don't like sticking things in my ears. :confused2: I've seen these at WalMart. They come in all sorts of colors.

Amazon.com: JVC HAFX34B Marshmallow Headphones: Electronics

I've tried these types and been severely disapointed in the noise isolation. My teen-age kids are now using something like this, but put standard over-the-ear sound-deading headphones over them. That seems to work much better. You get pretty good sound from the earphones and good isolation from the headphones.

/ Noise Canceling earphones #29  
I recently returned to Bose my old pair of QC2 headphones for repair (foam earpads and headband were deteriorating) and for the sum of about $85, I received a pair of their new Bose QC15 headphones in exchange. Keep in mind the regular price of the QC15s is $299, so I thought the deal was pretty good. Anyway, these things are AWESOME. They work so well that I thought my tractor RPMs were not where they should be (about 2500 rpm) for mowing and that my RFM wasn't engaged!!! - until I checked the dash panel and gages. If I understand the new Bose technology correctly, they not only cancel the noise from the outside, but have an additional feature that additional noise cancelling is applied to any noise that still is present on the inside of the phones afterwards. Anyway, these things may be pricey, but I doubt if there is any that work as well or sound as good.

The audio-technicas are just as good at 1/3 the price.