Tires fluid filled tires?

/ fluid filled tires? #21  
Calculate it by estimating the inside dimension (assume a circle) to get the radius, calculate the cross sectional area, and multiplying that by the circumference halfway out between the rim and the tread. This should give you the volume which can be converted to gallons (figure 70% full). My estimate would be about 10 - 12 gallons.

/ fluid filled tires? #22  
Howdy!

Methanol and water is what my dealer uses in all their fluid filled tires. Been using it for several years now with zero complaints.

As an aside, I got to play with this stuff the past weekend. In some way, I was mowing and must have gotten a hidden limb sutck between the mower and inside rear wheel. It sheared the valve stem off at the base, and I ended up in a pool of mud with 3 wheel drive as the now deflated rear tire stood stationary around the rear wheel. With a heavey mower on the back, it took about 20 minutes to limp to level ground.

Upon dropping the mower, I drove home to get a jack and my 3/4in socket set. Jacked up the rear axle and then remove the wheel. It was still about 1/4 full, and man was that a bear to wrestly up a 7% grade to the truck. Not to mention getting it up into the back of my F350. Wheh! Tire dealer put a new valve in it, and aired it back up. Bolted it back on to find that one of the wheel bolts was cross-threaded from the factory and stripped on the way out. Grand... Anyway, need to get that fixed and get the tire filled back up next week or so.

My point? Dunno. Just was slightly related and I've got a new-found respect for the weight of even our smaller, fluid-filled tires. Calcium would have been even worse...

Later,
Jay

/ fluid filled tires? #24  
Thanks, website is a great help.

daryl

/ fluid filled tires? #25  
I am curious to know if tires filled with fluid are more likely to puncture than tires without fluid ? seems to me the fluid would act as a backup for the tire it's self, anybody out there know ?
ditt

/ fluid filled tires? #26  
ditt,

I have a BX2200 with filled tires and it seems to help as I have had 5 front flats from thorns but none in the rear. Knock on wood!

pemad

/ fluid filled tires? #27  
I would not recommend using pure methanol for numerous reasons.
#1. In working with methanol for over 20+years in the oil and gas industry I cannot recall the extact PPG but I'm sure its somewhere around 1/3 to 1/4 less than water and 1/2 as much as an ethylene glycol(antifreeze). Remember you are doing this for the weight so dont miss out by using one of the lightest liquids you can buy.
#2. Methanol is extremely flammable as mentioned before here. It, when ignited burns so hot and pure that the flame is not readily visible to the eyes.
#3. Pure methanol will, regardless of what you read, damage rubber. It will make it dry and brittle. I have seen it time and time again in my work, so trust me on this one.

That said I would not hesitate to use WW fuild if freezing is a problem where u live. I live in south MS of this is not problem, I just used pure water. As others also mentioned calcium chloride will eat metal up. I was supprized to see it even mentioned in the owners manual of my bota. Ok nuff said.

/ fluid filled tires? #28  
I think maybe you are just lucky and have been picking up all the thorns with your front tires. Good driving!!! Seriuosly though, I started putting the tire sealant called "slime" in my riding mower and fourwheel tires several years ago and I have not once even had to add air to any of the tires since. This is amazing stuff. I have seen articals in atv mags that have tested it by purposely punching nail holes in atv tires and then riding all day and never losing any air! you can get this stuff at most motorcycle/atv stores. I have not put any in my front BX tires but I will soon. It would be neat if there was something like it to add to liquid filled tires but thats too much to hope for. Try it in the fronts and I promise u will love it.

/ fluid filled tires? #29  
I rather doubt anyone is using pure methanol and likely are using methanol only as a term for windshield washer fluid, which lists methanol on its label (quite diluted I expect and as tested by someone here, ww does not burn). Terminology is something that can be confusing. Also confusing is the requirement or the liability fears that the labels even have mention of methanol. But that is the government and lawyer society we live in, and will continue to have to put up with. Just recently heard that baby carriages now have a label warning the user not to turn it upside down when the baby is in it. Duh! Also heard that it is the NRA that is at fault for the rifle shootings out east. Another comparable comment heard was that the Sierra Club should be blamed for the death (I think) of the tree hugger that fell out of a redwood tree protesting the cutting of redwoods. We want someone to blame for every little problem that comes up. But we dare not blame the kook that does the errant deed.
Sorry to drift off the subject.