Tires fluid filled tires?

/ fluid filled tires? #31  
pemad, sorry it took so long to get back, and that you have all of the thorn problems but the slime thing will work for that as we have the same problem here, I was mainly thinking about as we cleared brush and small trees and have to drive over the small stumps like 2 inch diameter would the fluid sorta back up the rubber tire some rather than the extra weight make it puncture easier ?
ditt.

/ fluid filled tires? #32  
If you have calcium in your tires and get a leak, if your in the wrong place you might clean up the mess. with WW fuild would it be handled the same way or what?

/ fluid filled tires? #33  
From all this I am probably convinced filling the tires is a good idea, especially with a FEL. Still not positive on what fluid to use! I am curious about rust, if a water mixture is put inside the wheel, the rim is metal, and likely not painted inside, would it not rust?

/ fluid filled tires? #34  
Hi,

I just jumped in and filled mine with WW fluid. Why?

Well, the cost of antifreeze and the environmental concerns wrote that off.

Calcium cloride meant a tube and that meant for me that I would pay someone to do the job...expensive.

Had no idea where I could get that beat sugar juice...

Was uncertain I wanted to pay around $500 for foam filling the rear tires...but I am certain it was the right thing for me to do on the fronts, and I had them foam filled for about $140 for the pair after the first glass cut puncture.

I just figured that I would do it myself cheap and see how I liked it. I am not sure of the environmental concerns with WW fluid, but I would guess ww fluid is better than anti freeze if you have to dump it on the ground. Not sure though.

My logic was to go the cheap route, do it myself and see how I liked the result.

Answer is that I like the result a lot. No punctures to date, easy and cheap to do yourself.

Not sure about the danger of rusting the rims...

For what it's worth...

Bill in Pgh, PA

Did not reread the entire thread...hope I did not say this same thing sometime earlier...

/ fluid filled tires? #35  
I was wondering....
Is filling the tire to 75% full optimum or just as much as the tirewill hold? Is it OK to fill the tire to 50%? I live in SE North Carolina A very cold day here is 25 F. The anti freeze when mixed 1to 1 will yield protection to -34 F since I don't need that kind of protection how much can I dilute the anti-freeze?
Just trying to figure out the cheapest way to go since my tires at 75% full will hold 55 gallons each which equals a little over 100 bucks with washer fluid.

/ fluid filled tires? #36  
eric,

I'm far from an expert....but.....I think the 75 percent full has do do with a number of factors.

I believe it's important when using calcium solutions. The limited remaining volume does not allow for adequate oxygen to be present to allow the calcium to digest the wheel.

I would suspect that the 25 % also has a bit to do with the non-compressibility of liquids. Without the air, the ride would be a kidney buster.

I've got no experience with washer fluid. I've got calcium chloride solution in each rear tire filled to about 75 % !!

Good Luck

/ fluid filled tires? #37  
You can cut the price in half using ww fluid with 1:1 mix with water. You will have enough protection so it won't freeze in your area (at worst case it will be slush). Then fill 75% full. That gives you fluid just above the rim, keeping the rim submerged, which keeps the steel rim away from the oxygen in the air above that line. You can put less than 75% in the tire. More than 75% will submerge your valve stem which just makes it messy to check the tire pressure. Nice to just have air come out when the valve is positioned at 12 0'clock high.

/ fluid filled tires? #38  
Optimum seems to be the word for it. 75% gives you the most weight while still allowing air in the tire to cushion the ride somewhat and not split the tire on the slightest bump. I don't see why 50% wouldn't work. All you're doing is trying to get additional ballast on the tractor to lower its center of gravity. You just won't get the maximum weight by filling them less than 75%... but if money's the reason, do what you can now and then add the rest next year. No biggie. Some weight is better than none.

- G

/ fluid filled tires? #39  
People can and do fill tires less than 75%. I've never driven one that way, but have heard there is more of a problem with sloshing (worst case is 50%). Apparently if you are cruising along at max speed and need to do an emergency stop, the slosh can knock you forward an extra little bit. Less than 50% = less weight to slosh. more than 50% = less slosh since there is already some fluid taking up the space. 100% full would be no slosh, but cause other problems (rough ride, tough on tires and drive train/suspension)

John Mc

/ fluid filled tires? #40  
OK,
One last question:
When I fill the tires, will the 3 pt in full down position hold the weight of the tractor as I let air out of the tires?