Tires fluid filled tires?

/ fluid filled tires? #41  
No!!

/ fluid filled tires? #43  
8.3 gallons for 69 lbs per tire @ 75 0/0 full
** this is with plain water

/ fluid filled tires? #44  
Well this is my problem. My father in law found a Ford 861 in AZ and brought it up to me here in UT. The thing goes faster than my 4400 so is great for pulling sleds, has more weight and carries through tough soil better and is fun to putter around on. However the thing was ballasted with water I figure. Only had it since last winter and when it froze up here the ride was terrible. I couldn't see that the tires were out of round or anything but the ride felt like square tires (and my rest-o-ride seat has no rubber cushions so it's like sitting right on the rear differential). So now I'm faced with emptying water and adding a different ballast or just keeping the thing from freezing.

But I do at times consider getting my 4400 tires some ballast. Other than being cheaper and more difficult to "un-ballast", what would be the real difference in buying the iron wheel weights?

JS

/ fluid filled tires? #45  
Hi,

My tires are liquid filled on the rear and foam on the front.

I think the only practical difference, if the weight is equal, is that if you get a puncture, it might be nicer having air filled rather than liquid filled tires...

By the way, you might have been lucky running your tires with ice inside. I have read that doing so can severly damage the tires...

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ fluid filled tires? #46  
Macher,

I guess ice shards could hurt the tires but otherwise
I'm trying to think of the danger of the water freezing... I guess that the ice would take up more volume than the water and that would increase the air pressure in the tire. On the other hand the air volume decreases with decreasing temperature. Sounds like a great physics problem when all is considered... Like Henry's Law, percentage of tire filled with water/ice.../w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I think I'll keep the old thing in the shop this winter and work on some parts, particularly the seat. If I don't work on it's seat, it'll work on mine. Also will have to rebuild 3rd, check cylinder pressures, 3ph stuff, consider whether I really want to restore the thing. If I do all that I'll be missing some other good stuff. Priorities, you know. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

JS

/ fluid filled tires? #47  
ColorMeGreen,

If your tires froze then it is a safe bet that you do have just plain water in the tire. Why not pump in a few gallons of anti-freeze rather than completely refilling. I used the environmentally safe anti-freeze that will not attract wildlife if it leaks.

Careful driving that tractor if the tires have froze. There have been a number of stories on the forum about tires being destroyed by ice shredding the interior of a tire.

MarkV

/ fluid filled tires? #48  
Ditto on adding a few gallons of eco-safe antifreeze.. sounds like easiest / cheapest fix.

Soundguy

/ fluid filled tires? #49  
Thanks,
I might have actually tried it!!
I did some FEL work for hire the past couple of days, one thing is for sure: I won't do that again without putting ballast in the tires.

/ fluid filled tires? #50  
Has anybody used MgCl (Mag-chloride) to fill their tires? I've been quoted $200 for my 17.5x24 with tubes. Apperently, this is the same salt as road-salt which is enviro-safe (??). The size of tires requires 60 gal/each as a reference.

My questions, with horses on property, are they at risk if the MgCl leaks?

Greg