Tires fluid filled tires?

/ fluid filled tires? #61  
Re: ww fluid mixed with anti-freeze???

<font color=blue>By the way, Does anyone know what kind of tire pressure to run with tires filled to 75%? </font color=blue>

I think your pressure remains the same as recommended without the fluid. That means if you're running, say 10 psi without ballast that you still run 10 psi with. Note to self: measure tire pressure with the valve in the topmost position so the fluid doesn't fill the tire guage. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

If I'm wrong, please let me know - 'cause that's what I've been going on for the past few years (dang, over 400 hours, gotta change that really expensive Super UDT again)...Chris

/ fluid filled tires? #62  
Re: ww fluid mixed with anti-freeze???

Hi,

I think tire pressure for liquid filled tires has been covered a lot in other threads...so my simple summary may not actually reflect the consensus, and an archive search may be in order, but it seems that:

Since the fluid displaces air, there is a much smaller pocket of air in the tire to be compressed when the tire hits something that causes it to deflect inward. I have not checked my old physics text book, but I believe others who have referred to the pressure/volume law for a gas, are correct, when stating that since the air volume is smaller, the pressure in the tire will increase more rapidly in a filled tire [as compared to an air-only tire] when the tire is deformed by something, say a bump or rock.

If that is not what they said, that is what I think anyway. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

As the result, some have taken to running much lower air pressures in loaded tires than they expected, to get the ride they desire. I think Chim especially has reported on running as low as 7 PSI in his loaded tires. In a recent post Chim also reported about spinning his rear wheels [wheels slipping within the tires] under a heavy load, and upping the pressure a bit, at least for the time being.

Bottom line, it appears that if you want the tire to feel and perform the same loaded, as it did before you put the liquid in, then <font color=green> probably </font color=green> you should lower the pressure a bit.

How much? Your call. I personally inflated my 12.4 x16 R4s to 12 psi after filling them to the top of the rims with WW fluid, and they certainly do not feel too soft to me!

Running the tires at standard pressure when they are filled will not likely hurt them, but may result in a tire that feels harder on the same rough surface as you drive over it.

For what it�fs worth�c

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ fluid filled tires? #63  
Folks,

For those who are concerned for the safety of their animals, children environment etc, you might consider propylene glycol to fill your tires and protect your engine.

I found a great <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pecuniary.com/synthetics/antifreeze.html> link </A> on antifreeze that goes into great technical detail on the issues surrounding antifreeze.

Just a thought for those that consider safety and the environment when making these types of decisions /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Sleepyhollow

/ fluid filled tires? #64  
That is a good article by the AMS Oil folks ... thanks for finding it.