What have you done with your tractor?

/ What have you done with your tractor? #1  

Rob-D

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
After posting pics of my new tractor I got comments on my place so I thought I'd start a thread on what owners do with their tractors and dozers too. Did you build a pond, move trees, clear land? I'd love to see it and I'll bet most people here would also.

Here's my 'work in progress':

I build fruit orchards and am clearing land that was 95% thorn trees and scrub but good soil and drainage. Now the grass is just starting to come up in those areas that are just cleared earth in the pics. I have about 20 to 30 fruit trees so far in my other orchards, apples, pears and berry bushes. I have an 8 acre field we use for hay and the front 4 acres has horses and assorted other animals on it that belong to my friend.

The small pond is about 1/3 to 1/2 acre (12 feet deep) and has rainbow and brook trout in it from Soil and Water. There's whirling disease up here so you have to be careful what goes into your water. you need the depth to keep the fish safe when it gets hot or cold although I have several springs feeding the pond that keep it cool in the summer. I don't stock bass as they eat the frogs and newts. Between the trout, frogs and swallows there are no mosquito problems but some of the clearing helped with that too. Also we do only organic gardens which we feel helps with the natural balance of nature.

Rob

Attachments

• tractor clearing1.JPG
    tractor clearing1.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 251
  • tractor clearing 2.JPG
    tractor clearing 2.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 204
  • tractor clearing 3.JPG
    tractor clearing 3.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 247
  • tractor and house.jpg
    tractor and house.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 317
   / What have you done with your tractor? #2  
I make and maintain trails through my timber land but most recently I used it to help finish the pool we put in. We put a new pool where our old one was and had to lower the bottom four inches because the new wall is 52 inches. It made quick work of this hard Alabama clay.

Attachments

• MY BIRTHDAY- SUMMER FUN 10 042.jpg
    MY BIRTHDAY- SUMMER FUN 10 042.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 289
   / What have you done with your tractor? #3  
Mostly mowing...some brush cutting and chipping, some snow removal and a modicum of materials movement.
Mostly my own work, but I'll help a neighbor when they need it.

/ What have you done with your tractor? #4  
Well I will list some of the things I have done but I am sure I will forget most.

Move snow with loader
SnlwBlow massive amounts of snow.
pull hay wagons
Move 800lb square hay bales into storage
disk fields
Till fields
Till Gardens
Cultapack fields
BushHog pastures, medow's
Drag pastures
Move more than 50 mature trees that I cut up into 10'-15' lengths
Grapple Huge Rocks out of field
Remove old fence lines
Build fence - drill post holes
clear brush
Landscape new house lawns
grapple rubble from old house to bury site
Rake up debris (rocks, root chuncks) from new construction site
Build 3 sided horse shelter - level site, move dirt, Drill holes, move material
Build two dry lots for horses
Maintain gravel driveway
spread/move manure
Drag/Move 20'X30' cedar shed
Move lots and lots of dirt
Spread gravel on drive
Spread sand in horse shelter
Reclaim over grown areas
Remove trash from woods left by farmer I bought from.
Pull fallen trees out of river per county mandate
move implements around - load and unload from trailer, move to witer storage
level and clear site for round pen (horse training)

I think you get the idea. My ranch/hobby farm would not exist if I didn't have this Kubota work horse or something like it.

/ What have you done with your tractor? #5  
My ranch/hobby farm would not exist if I didn't have this Kubota work horse or something like it.

Which came first, the tractor or the farm? Hmmm.... :confused: Put another way, the tractor would not exist if you didn't have the farm either!! :laughing:

Looks like you have found a hundred and one uses for your 'bota! I've used my 790 mainly for bushhogging around my parents place, and at my hunt club, and also to scrape the roads at the club and help put in our food plots there. There's a number of other smaller jobs I do with it just too many to remember all and list them here. We don't have snow here to speak of so that's definitely not one of them LOL.

/ What have you done with your tractor? #6  
Graded the driveway and the neighborhood road, tilled the garden, mowed a LOT of thick brush, hauled logs, leveled land, dug post holes, maintained my trails in the woods, maintained my campsite in the woods, graded a horse arena, spread manure and topsoil, plowed snow, and some mowing jobs for neighbors, friends, and family. All without a FEL! :eek:

Attachments

• 3-2-10 008.jpg
    3-2-10 008.jpg
    962.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 3-2-10 013.jpg
    3-2-10 013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
  • 4-25-10 006.jpg
    4-25-10 006.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 245
   / What have you done with your tractor? #7  
Well I will list some of the things I have done but I am sure I will forget most.
Pull fallen trees out of river per county mandate

I think you get the idea. My ranch/hobby farm would not exist if I didn't have this Kubota work horse or something like it.

This one gave me a chuckle. The Fish & Game folks here have been 'seeding' rivers with large trees. Something about the trout habitat and creating deeper pools.

Dave.

/ What have you done with your tractor? #8  
Like pitt_md, our property would not be very enjoyable without the tractor. We don't farm anything or raise animals. I try to promote wildlife habitats of different kinds but mostly have created a lot of 'edge' habitat and working on new growth habitat areas that will get bush hogged every 3-4 years.

We have several miles worth of walking trails that I could never keep open without the tractor.

These are things I've done:

Clear snow with FEL, have a rear snowblower now waiting for winter.
Haul firewood in the FEL bucket.
Maintain drive/spread gravel with FEL bucket.
Mow the open areas and trails with bush hog.
Clear old field areas with FEL bucket and PTO chipper.
Drag away trees to a brush pile using 3pt lift boom.
'Re-arrange' rocks that are in the way.
Use the FEL bucket like a big wheelbarrow for picking stones.
Stir the compost pile with the FEL bucket.

Backhoe stuff:
Couple of french drains and utility trenches.
Improve rough areas in trails by digging up dirt to spread.
Dug a couple very small wildlife water holes.
Dig drainage trenches along trails through wet areas.
Dig up rocks sticking up to high.
Dig up old tree stumps.

Used the tractor when we built for backfill, foundation stone, leveling, carrying, etc.
Dave.

/ What have you done with your tractor?
Wow! This is great, you never know what you'll get when you ask a tractor question!

/ What have you done with your tractor? #10  
Wow! This is great, you never know what you'll get when you ask a tractor question!

Your sure right about that.:thumbsup: