Tires Partially Filled Rear Tires

/ Partially Filled Rear Tires #11  
So, you are saying that you could Theoretically, run a rod through the axle and out the front of the tractor and it would balance? (rotate like on a barbecue grill) What about the same tractors with different diameter tires? COG the same? Ken Sweet

No, that is not what I said. Common sense should tell you that adding weight below the point of axis on ANY vehicle will lower the COG. Nothing theoretical about it.

/ Partially Filled Rear Tires #12  
No, that is not what I said. Common sense should tell you that adding weight below the point of axis on ANY vehicle will lower the COG. Nothing theoretical about it.

Quote Pretty simple, really...do not fill above the centerline of your axle. No need to determine the center of gravity as this is a fixed low COG point on your tractor (or any tractor for that matter). Quote

The way it sounds, is that you say that you should not go with fluid above the centerline of the tractor axle. I say, you should not go above the cog line of the tractor, which will in most cases be higher than the centerline of the axle. Ken Sweet

/ Partially Filled Rear Tires #13  
Quote Pretty simple, really...do not fill above the centerline of your axle. No need to determine the center of gravity as this is a fixed low COG point on your tractor (or any tractor for that matter). Quote

The way it sounds, is that you say that you should not go with fluid above the centerline of the tractor axle. I say, you should not go above the cog line of the tractor, which will in most cases be higher than the centerline of the axle. Ken Sweet

Now that IS what I said...not knowing the EXACT COG line of your tractor, the only sure bet is that by not exceeding the centerline of the axle you can be assured that you have not raised the COG of the tractor but have, in fact, lowered it. This is true no matter what size tractor or tire diameter.

/ Partially Filled Rear Tires #14  
Don't drive to fast with partially filled tires. reason is that at some point centrifical force keeps the fluid forced against the tire at it starts traveling at the same speed as the tire. With a tire only half full this could tip you over or at the very least scare the crap out of you.

Roy

/ Partially Filled Rear Tires #15  
I'm curious if anyone is aware of any short or long-term ill effects of doing this: sloshing, rim issues, etc.

I have industrial (R4) tires for those who were curious. They are ~33" tall, 12-16.5.

Thanks for the comments all, and 1st hand experience k0ua

If your that worried about your rims have a shop put tubes in them and then fill the tube. Your water/antifreeze will be in the tube and not contact the rim untill you have a leak and then thats not a big deal.