Skid Plates/Belly Pans Anyone?

/ Skid Plates/Belly Pans Anyone? #11  
Belly pan also made non destructable steps.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/5-134345-Bellypancenterview.JPG> click here </A>

/ Skid Plates/Belly Pans Anyone?
Thanks for taking the time to post the links!

I must say the first picture gave me a flashback to a movie...was that Mel Gibson in "road warrior" or something like that?

As a first step I plan on putting a small skid plate on the bottom of my B2910 that will cover the area where the front drive shaft/plastic shroud is. I figure I can add more towards the back of the undercarrage later if I feel the need...

When I get it installed I will post a shot of it.

Won't compete with yours though!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Skid Plates/Belly Pans Anyone? #13  
We added a belly pan to a JD 7810 for pasture work. I plan to add one to my M6800.

A few things I considered:

1. It adds weight and adds it low. ood balast, but not adjustable.

2. I plan to make one out of 1/4" plywood and scraps of wood bolted to the frame. After I like the way it fits and checking to make sure every thing can be serviced, I can remove it and fab an identical one from steel. Sort of like a cheap, easy to make prototype that also is a pattern.

The 1/4" bolt idea seems light. I think for your tractor 5/16 would be the smalles I'd like to see. Ideally, it should be tough enough that you can pick up your tractor with a jack under the skid plate. That way if you high center on the pan no damage is done.

This will be a fun project, but I'm waiting till I have a loader so I can do it one time.

If I get out to the pasture with the 7810 I'll take a picture.

/ Skid Plates/Belly Pans Anyone? #14  
The plywood prototype sounds like a very good approach. Looking forward to the day when you post that M6800 skid plate drawing- but definitely wait until after the LA1162 is fitted! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Ed - M6800 w/LA1162 loader

As a matter of fact...

Since I don't have a welder or any steel plate at the moment...

How bad of an idea would it be to fabricate a skid plate out of 3/4 plywood and mount it under the tractor? Prototype kind of, but more like an emergency shield, sacrificial type, to be used only when needed and replaced afterwards if it fails?

I don't intend to need the protection that a skid plate offers...but there is always that one time when anything under there could have prevented damage.

OK...I know...once you have somehting down there you will go places you have never gone before because "it's protected down there..."

Still...something may be better than nothing...OR, in this case, do you think NOTHING is better than SOMETHING??

Bill in Pgh, PA.

/ Skid Plates/Belly Pans Anyone? #16  
A plywood skid plate would not deliver the same level of protection as steel however:

1) It would be a lot better than nothing, cushioning the blow even at the risk of being destroyed in the process.

2) It would probably provide reasonable protection from sticks and other debris tearing hyraulic lines, etc. Those posting on TBN advising undercarriage protection seem to suggest this threat is a significant one.

So you could make one out of plywood serving the purpose of prototype and as temporary protection until something more permanent could be fashioned.

Hi,

Well today I got around to making a little skid plate to protect that plastic cover and a little more under the front of the tractor.

Made from 1/8 aluminum plate that I had, a piece that was 12x27 inches. Actually turned out pretty good. Held on by four 5/16 inch stainless bolts, upped from 1/4 inch per the suggestion earlier in this thread. Not as strong as steel, but certainly stronger than that flimsly plastic cover!

Here's a couple pictures: The first is the underside without any protection except for what the loader subframe provides...

Attachments

• 47-199896-Plate0.jpg
    47-199896-Plate0.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 191
The second is the plate ready for installation.

I drilled four holes in the loader subframe and tapped them. On/off is about 2 minutes either way. Needs to come off to drain the oil...

Attachments

• 47-199897-plate1.jpg
    47-199897-plate1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 163
This one shows the plate installed....

Attachments

• 47-199898-plate2.jpg
    47-199898-plate2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,223
Final shot, of the front that sort of wraps up behind the front axle, hopefully out of the way of most things that might want to grab on to it...

Plan to make something to protect the rear half as well. But that will need to be wider...probably about 20 to 22 inches, and will most likely be made of steel plate...in the end, but plywood in the interim I suspect.

Note also that the fuel filter is still out there and lacking much protection.../w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bill

Attachments

• 47-199902-plate3.jpg
    47-199902-plate3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 155