Tires lug nuts

/ lug nuts #11  
So did Chrysler products until around 1960 or so.

Jim

Add another 20+ years to that number and some 80 models Ford 3/4 & 1 ton pu's that put Chrysler Danas in em also had L/H threads.

/ lug nuts #12  
My 1953 Dodge Power Wagon has left hand on one side and right on the other.

/ lug nuts #13  
Add another 20+ years to that number and some 80 models Ford 3/4 & 1 ton pu's that put Chrysler Danas in em also had L/H threads.

I had forgotten that. Not related, but I think that Ford also used the New Process transmissions and transfer cases from Chrysler.

Jim

/ lug nuts #14  
In 1976 I rode my Harley from Santa Cruz , CA to Mexico City and back taking a little over a month to do so. While riding up Baja on the way home I came across a brand new motorhome parked off the road with a flat tire and two retired couples standing outside looking it over. I stopped to help and found out that they were unable to remove the tire with their lug wrench so being a healthy kid I attemped to remove it and try as I could, even jumping on the wrench, it would not budge. At that time, Mexico had set up a division of roadside assistance vehicles called the "Green Angels" due to the color of their trucks. Sure enough, it wasn't more than an hour and here one came. The fellow who owned the motorhome explained the dilemma to the Green Angel guy who then smiled back and turned the lug wrench over and removed the tire.

/ lug nuts #15  
so being a healthy kid I attemped to remove it and try as I could, even jumping on the wrench, it would not budge. .

When I was in high school my friend's dad had an old English Ford he let us use. We got a flat - couldn't turn the lug wrench so jumped on it. Busted off three studs before we smartened up :laughing: Walked home. Got our A's kicked and paid for a new brake drum. Walked back with a tool box and fixed it. But we learned something.

/ lug nuts #16  
They are right hand thread, and probably have 160 ft lbs of torque on them. Eat your wheaties and use a flex handle, maybe with a pipe. Unless you're built like a gorilla, a ratchet ain't going to cut it.

Indeed. Last weekend I had to take the right-rear wheel off my JD 3038e so I could install new hydraulic lines for two new rear SCVs and my half-inch impact wrench wouldn't budge the lug bolts. The biggest pull handle I have still wasn't enough so I had to use a pipe over the pull handle to break the suckers loose. When I finally got them off they had some kind of white gook on them from the factory. I don't know if it was anti-seize or anti-break-the-suckers-loose.

Just about wrenched my back.