Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

Default Re: lug nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    So did Chrysler products until around 1960 or so.

Jim
    Add another 20+ years to that number and some 80 models Ford 3/4 & 1 ton pu's that put Chrysler Danas in em also had L/H threads.
    Kubota L2800HST, Mitsubishi 372, bh75, 45" Agric tiller, 5' home made disk, 42" Bush hog, PHD, 66" Cammond BB.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2-Kubota B7100s

My 1953 Dodge Power Wagon has left hand on one side and right on the other.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2006 4320 CUT, 1970 Power King 2416

Quote Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
    Add another 20+ years to that number and some 80 models Ford 3/4 & 1 ton pu's that put Chrysler Danas in em also had L/H threads.
    I had forgotten that. Not related, but I think that Ford also used the New Process transmissions and transfer cases from Chrysler.

Jim

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2002 New Holland TC40S

In 1976 I rode my Harley from Santa Cruz , CA to Mexico City and back taking a little over a month to do so. While riding up Baja on the way home I came across a brand new motorhome parked off the road with a flat tire and two retired couples standing outside looking it over. I stopped to help and found out that they were unable to remove the tire with their lug wrench so being a healthy kid I attemped to remove it and try as I could, even jumping on the wrench, it would not budge. At that time, Mexico had set up a division of roadside assistance vehicles called the "Green Angels" due to the color of their trucks. Sure enough, it wasn't more than an hour and here one came. The fellow who owned the motorhome explained the dilemma to the Green Angel guy who then smiled back and turned the lug wrench over and removed the tire.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
    so being a healthy kid I attemped to remove it and try as I could, even jumping on the wrench, it would not budge. .
    When I was in high school my friend's dad had an old English Ford he let us use. We got a flat - couldn't turn the lug wrench so jumped on it. Busted off three studs before we smartened up Walked home. Got our A's kicked and paid for a new brake drum. Walked back with a tool box and fixed it. But we learned something.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    Deere

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly807 View Post
    They are right hand thread, and probably have 160 ft lbs of torque on them. Eat your wheaties and use a flex handle, maybe with a pipe. Unless you're built like a gorilla, a ratchet ain't going to cut it.

Indeed. Last weekend I had to take the right-rear wheel off my JD 3038e so I could install new hydraulic lines for two new rear SCVs and my half-inch impact wrench wouldn't budge the lug bolts. The biggest pull handle I have still wasn't enough so I had to use a pipe over the pull handle to break the suckers loose. When I finally got them off they had some kind of white gook on them from the factory. I don't know if it was anti-seize or anti-break-the-suckers-loose.

Just about wrenched my back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12