WW Fluid Burn Test...

/ WW Fluid Burn Test... #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi,

Got curious about the concern that has been voiced about WW Fluid in tires for loading, flammability and so on.

So I put some –20F rated WW fluid in a Pyrex dish, and got my propane torch, and tried to light it. After several tries, which warmed the fluid a bit, it did burn. It looked like alcohol burning. It did burn for a short time with a nice blue flame that was visible in the dark. I had the lights out in the basement so I could see the flame.

The flame went out and I touched the liquid that remained with my finger. Warm but not hot. I tried to light it again, and probably almost boiled the remaining fluid, but it would not light again.

So, it appears that if there is a concern about flammability, is minimal or almost non-existent in the tire loading application on a tractor.

“That’s my story and I’m sticking to it…” /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ WW Fluid Burn Test... #2  
Marcher,

Nothing like a direct experiment to confirm the issue.

I think what was expressed in the other thread was the fact that the methanol itself is very flamable. The WW fluid is a low enough concentration that its not to much of an issue.
Just don't take that torch to pure methanol!

Fred

/ WW Fluid Burn Test... #3  
<font color=blue>...I had the lights out in the basement so I could see the flame...</font color=blue>

Hi Bill,

Nothing like finding out first hand... of course you evacuated the whole house prior to the start of this experiment right...? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ WW Fluid Burn Test...
Well...it wasn't much liquid...could have been gasoline and still not been much of a worry... the pyrex plate was quite small. I think the term for that plate is a "watch glass" but I am not sure what a "watch glass" is used for.

Anyway, I did evacuate the immediate area, which houses my home brewery... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif... the birth place of many fine ales...

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ WW Fluid Burn Test... #5  
I must have missed something. Someone is worried about slightly flammable tire fluid when a hydraulic fluid leak on a hot manifold is a guaranteed fireball?

/ WW Fluid Burn Test... #6  
Glad you didn't have to Save the Ales .... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Brad in NH

/ WW Fluid Burn Test... #7  
Bill,

What did the warning label say on the gallon of WW you used in your test, was it, Poison, Combustible, or Flammable?

To answer Darren, the concern was while transferring the WW liquid from the container to the tire, as you say "slightly flammable" (is that like being a little pregnant??, LOL) it could ignite and blow your garage, house, etc. up if the it found a source of ignition, say a gas fired hot water heater. Point being some WW use a high percentage of methanol, which is flammable, and or some shops use straight methanol, which is worse.

Just trying to point out the hazards of working with flammable liquids…be safe.

Tom

/ WW Fluid Burn Test... #8  
Thanks for doing the test. You confirmed my thoughts. True, the labels of WW say flammable, but likely only because they have included 'some' methanol. Could not imagine using a 'flammable' liquid in a windshield washer system on a car, that wouldn't have 10,000 warnings not to smoke, not to have the engine running, etc. when 'washing' the windshield. Nor to even think about a liquid dispersed into the atmosphere that was not environmentally 'safe'. California would have stopped such a use of this fluid eons ago.
We get so much hype nowadays that some become afraid of their own shadow. Anyway, thanks for testing the WW fluid for us.
I also suspect the comment that 'methanol' was used in tires was just a reference to the WW fluid actually used, but as someone mentioned, it sounded more expensive and elete than saying they used WW fluid.

/ WW Fluid Burn Test... #9  
glad it worked out for u but not sure i would do any type of experiment in the house, too many things can go wrong. just my MHO

/ WW Fluid Burn Test...
HI,

The reason I tried this was because I heard the concerns about the dangers of using this WW fluid in tires. And it never even entered my mind that this stuff would burn at all!

The amount I used was VERY small...about a teaspoon worth, or less. It was held by a small pyrex dish, which was placed inside a little metal can lid. Don't think safety was compromised in any way really.

Then again, maybe it was. It was an unknown substance, at least as to its ability to burn. Had it evaporated into some kind of gas that was explosive...results might have become more interesting. In reality, I think a shot of scotch is more dangerous than WW fluid. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Maybe I'll do a test on scotch next... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Don't drink the stuff so that should be real interesting. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Hey honey, here's my car keys...gonna do that test now /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

BUT...Frank_f15's point is well made. We can NEVER be too safe. Like they say on TV:

Don't do this at home! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA