Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ???

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #1  

SteveCornell

Silver Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota L6060 HSTC
I rolled my tractor over on it's side tonight (Kubota L3240) thank goodness for the roll bar, I didn't get a scratch, I was filling in a ditch and the tractor slid sideways and rolled over on it's side, it rolled over real slow but probably would have come on over on top of me if not for the roll bar, yes I'm lucky and it was really a freak accident, everything just came together and it happened.
Now I am REALLY POed!!! the darn thing would not shut off!!, I pulled the key, hit every safety switch, made sure the seat safety switch was depressed and hit the go pedal, kicked in the PTO, pulled all the fuses, made sure the throttle was at idle, I couldn't get the hood open to get to the air cleaner, the darn thing just screamed wide open and blew all the oil out the exhaust until it quit, probably 10 minutes, (seized I suspect)
Why would it not shut down????? I'm gonna want answers from Kubota, there is not a scratch on the tractor, I was able to get it set back on it's wheels with my pickup, but now the engine will probably need a rebuild, I don't understand why it would not shut down, any ideas?? I'm too upset to deal with it tonight, I'll put some oil in it in the morning and see if it will turn over..... sorry for the rant, just really upset right now.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #3  
Well, I am just glad you are ok. Hope your tractor does alright in the morning. That sure is wierd that it would not shut dowm ? Ken Sweet

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #4  
Glad you weren't hurt!! I would be upset too on the engine....but count your blessings!! Maybe Kubota will help you out on this....relax and deal with it next week. You did all you could. Life is good. :)

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #5  
Steve...Soo glad you're with us to tell the story.

Did you have your seatbelt on.?? If not, you are one lucky SOB.!!

Can't for the life of me figure out why ithe machine wouldn't shut down.?? Hope someone can help you understand this and I do understand your frustration.

"Not a scratch" tells me if you had shut it down your project might have been completed by days end. IF you had the nerve to get back on it in short order.??

Too bad yet, so very lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #6  
You experienced a Diesel engine runaway. Due to this, engine was running on its own oil and ran until it ran out of oil.

Aaron Z

Wow.!!! Un-real.

I think you nailed it Aaron.

Help me understand this further....The ignition, being electrical, becomes irrellevant because of how the lubricants and fuel became distributed.??.....upside wrong.

Therefore, NOTHING shuts the tractor down. Un-real.

Now I am concerned that the operator will not be helped by Kubota. It was an accident.

Do you have insurance Steve.??

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #7  
Glad you are OK. No clue why it didn't shut off but I will follow the thread to become educated.

Wikipedia has a plausible explanation under diesel engine runaway.

Sounds like the engine is toast though. Sorry.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ???
no insurance on the tractor, I doubt homeowners would cover.

I would highly recommend installing an emergency kill (air kill) on ANY diesel engine, I know now that anything else I own will have one.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #9  
Glad you are able to post for our education.
Sorry about the tractor.... hope it turns out OK in the end.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #10  
bad luck indeed. I rolled my old CASE VAC tricycle a few years ago. Right rear wheel caught a bail of hay and climbed the bail. Needless to say I survived by pushing hard off the platform to the left with a swan dive into the turf so I could clear the tracter rolling over to the left,also. My accident happened because I was hot,tired,and stupid. Fortunately,I had enough instincts to clear the roll.