Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2006 4320 CUT, 1970 Power King 2416

Default Re: White smoke coming from shredder...

It's possible that something jammed and either stopped or restricted the ability of the blades to turn and the slip clutch was working as it should. When you disengaged the PTO, the obstruction (sticks, heavy grass and rocks) dislodged and everything was ok when you reengaged. Still may need adjusting. Usually set them based on the amount of compression on each of the springs. Will check the book on my Rhino and let you know.

Jim

I tried it out some more today and the cutter is getting worse. I won't cut much before the clutch starts smoking. It started out okay but then did it two or three times within a 15 minute period of time. I guess I am going to get my manual out and try to take the driveline apart and inspect the clutch.

To whoever said something about steam from wet grass: It is definitely the clutch and you can smell the burning---really stinks.

So on slip clutches, they work by 'slipping' when the blades cannot turn as they should from vegetation tangling or whatever? Surely it isn't normal for the clutch to smoke when it slips as intended?

I would think mine has been working well as I have lots of hidden stones in my pasture that I hit and I thought the clutch slips for such things?

Maybe it is already worn out and so now somthing rubs that shouldn't so it smokes?

Thanks,

Rob

Okay! Think I found my answer right here in the manual. Under clutch assembly and disassembly, it says the if clutches have been slipped to the point of 'smoking' the friction discs may be damaged and should be replaced. Heat build up may also affect the yoke joints.

What are yoke joints?

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

u joints at the yoke ends probably.

soundguy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ck30 kioti

So,you didn't tighten them up any? just kept going?,well,your clutch plates are probably toast by now,so,,,doubt if it ruined the u joints but,,who knows

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2006 4320 CUT, 1970 Power King 2416

Quote Originally Posted by robininni View Post
    I tried it out some more today and the cutter is getting worse. I won't cut much before the clutch starts smoking. It started out okay but then did it two or three times within a 15 minute period of time. I guess I am going to get my manual out and try to take the driveline apart and inspect the clutch.

To whoever said something about steam from wet grass: It is definitely the clutch and you can smell the burning---really stinks.

So on slip clutches, they work by 'slipping' when the blades cannot turn as they should from vegetation tangling or whatever? Surely it isn't normal for the clutch to smoke when it slips as intended?

I would think mine has been working well as I have lots of hidden stones in my pasture that I hit and I thought the clutch slips for such things?

Maybe it is already worn out and so now somthing rubs that shouldn't so it smokes?

Thanks,

Rob

It has been my experience that the clutches do not slip except in extreme situations, but, if they slip enough, they surely will smoke. My point was that it may not have malfunctioned, just slipped when your cutter was stopped or severely restricted. You still might be able to follow the clutch adjustment procedure in your manual and get a little more use, but. Of course, every time it smoked, it was eating clutch material, so will likely need to be changed soon.

I would also further check the cutter to insure that no obstruction remains underneath.

Jim

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab

I had the same problem this spring, took the clutch apart and the disks crumbled. Replaced the disks, adj. like the manual said and no further problems.

E/S

2009 Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab
    LA1353 FEL w/ 7' Bucket & Pallet Forks
    McMillen X1475 Earth Auger w/ 9", 18" & 24" augers - Land Pride RCR3596 Rotary Cutter
    Gearmore 4G4 Series 7' Box Scraper w/ hydraulic rippers

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

hard to say.. but I hope he tried to tighten them before using again...

soundguy

Quote Originally Posted by gauthier View Post
    So,you didn't tighten them up any? just kept going?,well,your clutch plates are probably toast by now,so,,,doubt if it ruined the u joints but,,who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    hard to say.. but I hope he tried to tighten them before using again...

soundguy
    No. I didn't tighten or do any adjusting before using it again after the first smoke incident. After the second smoking session, I took it apart. One friction disc is intact, the other was basically non-existent, just some particles left over. The metal pieces look okay except for a little metal grinding on one piece, but it is slight and I think it can be smoothed and be okay.

Like I have said in other posts, I hit lots of rocks (some quite large). My blades look pretty terrible on the cutting side (all dinged up with chunks missing here and there). I have a feeling that this has resulted in poor cutting performance which led to more drag and bogging which in turn led to a lot of clutch slipping which.... drum roll please..... led to burning up clutch slip discs.

Anyway, I will get me some new slip discs and put it back together. I will also use a flie on my blades and see how it turns out or just order some new ones. I don't know how 'bad' bad is because this is my first rotary cutter. Infact, this is my first anything ag. I just got this RCR1872 Land Pride cutter when I got my L5240HSDC tractor in early June 2010. I have a lot to learn I am sure.

Thanks for all your help and input.

Rob

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by robininni View Post
    I will also use a flie on my blades and see how it turns out or just order some new ones.
    Save yourself a few hours and use an angle grinder to clean up the edges.
    When you sharpen the blades, leave a blunt edge (3/16" or so), the edge will last longer this way and any trees you hit will end up with shredded stumps rather than nice sharp stumps that will poke holes in your tires the next time around.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast