Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Default Re: White smoke coming from shredder...

Quote Originally Posted by robininni View Post
    No. I didn't tighten or do any adjusting before using it again after the first smoke incident. After the second smoking session, I took it apart. One friction disc is intact, the other was basically non-existent, just some particles left over. The metal pieces look okay except for a little metal grinding on one piece, but it is slight and I think it can be smoothed and be okay.

Like I have said in other posts, I hit lots of rocks (some quite large). My blades look pretty terrible on the cutting side (all dinged up with chunks missing here and there). I have a feeling that this has resulted in poor cutting performance which led to more drag and bogging which in turn led to a lot of clutch slipping which.... drum roll please..... led to burning up clutch slip discs.

Anyway, I will get me some new slip discs and put it back together. I will also use a flie on my blades and see how it turns out or just order some new ones. I don't know how 'bad' bad is because this is my first rotary cutter. Infact, this is my first anything ag. I just got this RCR1872 Land Pride cutter when I got my L5240HSDC tractor in early June 2010. I have a lot to learn I am sure.

Thanks for all your help and input.

Rob
    You probably aren't as hard on it as you think. The cutter was probably not adjusted correctly and that is why it wore out so fast. Its not supposed to slip a all the time only when it hit something really hard like a big rock or a stump and then only for a second or two.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post
    You probably aren't as hard on it as you think. The cutter was probably not adjusted correctly and that is why it wore out so fast.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE

This video talks about burning off the varnish from a new slip clutch. It also suggests loosening it up and making sure it slips then readjusting after its sat out in the weather for awhile. Sounds like good advice. Slip clutches are one of those things that really requires periodic attention you can't just "set it and forget it"

Harley T6 Power Box Rake for Tractors, 3point hitch, PTO Driven, EverythingAttachments.com
    "I don't do landscaping... I do battle with vegetation"

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Save yourself a few hours and use an angle grinder to clean up the edges.
    When you sharpen the blades, leave a blunt edge (3/16" or so), the edge will last longer this way and any trees you hit will end up with shredded stumps rather than nice sharp stumps that will poke holes in your tires the next time around.

Aaron Z
    ditto that.. leave a blunt endge to cplinter big material and get hurt less by rocks.

soundguy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ck30 kioti

Mines about 7-8 years old,blades have never been off and never been sharpened and it still cuts grass like it did[basicly] when it was new,,probably use it 50 hours or so a year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123