White smoke coming from shredder...

/ White smoke coming from shredder... #21  
No. I didn't tighten or do any adjusting before using it again after the first smoke incident. After the second smoking session, I took it apart. One friction disc is intact, the other was basically non-existent, just some particles left over. The metal pieces look okay except for a little metal grinding on one piece, but it is slight and I think it can be smoothed and be okay.

Like I have said in other posts, I hit lots of rocks (some quite large). My blades look pretty terrible on the cutting side (all dinged up with chunks missing here and there). I have a feeling that this has resulted in poor cutting performance which led to more drag and bogging which in turn led to a lot of clutch slipping which.... drum roll please..... led to burning up clutch slip discs.

Anyway, I will get me some new slip discs and put it back together. I will also use a flie on my blades and see how it turns out or just order some new ones. I don't know how 'bad' bad is because this is my first rotary cutter. Infact, this is my first anything ag. I just got this RCR1872 Land Pride cutter when I got my L5240HSDC tractor in early June 2010. I have a lot to learn I am sure.

Thanks for all your help and input.

Rob

You probably aren't as hard on it as you think. The cutter was probably not adjusted correctly and that is why it wore out so fast. Its not supposed to slip a all the time only when it hit something really hard like a big rock or a stump and then only for a second or two.

/ White smoke coming from shredder... #22  
You probably aren't as hard on it as you think. The cutter was probably not adjusted correctly and that is why it wore out so fast.

Exactly what I was thinking.

/ White smoke coming from shredder... #23  
   / White smoke coming from shredder... #24  
Save yourself a few hours and use an angle grinder to clean up the edges.
When you sharpen the blades, leave a blunt edge (3/16" or so), the edge will last longer this way and any trees you hit will end up with shredded stumps rather than nice sharp stumps that will poke holes in your tires the next time around.

Aaron Z

ditto that.. leave a blunt endge to cplinter big material and get hurt less by rocks.

soundguy

/ White smoke coming from shredder... #25  
Mines about 7-8 years old,blades have never been off and never been sharpened and it still cuts grass like it did[basicly] when it was new,,probably use it 50 hours or so a year.