Combine world record

/ Combine world record #1  

Coolnorth

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Harris Model 20, IH 240 Utility
Last edited:
   / Combine world record #2  
Thats a lot of combines! :eek: I wonder how long the row of combines was? :confused:

/ Combine world record #3  
Thanks!

BTW, there's a new Gator XUV at 9:24.

Kyle

/ Combine world record #4  
Coolnorth,

Thanks for the post.

I read the article and saw they were harvesting wheat, but here's my question.

When they harvest wheat, rye, oats, etc. around me, the combines have wide heads with reels on them. These machines seem to have much smaller heads and the wheat was 'wind rowed', for lack of a better term.

Can you explain to me the difference in farming methods from the Midwest to the great plains of our northern brothers please?

/ Combine world record
Hi Big Wave D,

In a word, no. I suspect, however, that they found any combine that they could to simply have the numbers for the world record. The Winkler area is probably the most eastern area of the bread-basket, as you hit Saskatchewan and Alberta, you'd see the wider heads in use.

My personal experience with wheat so far is to spread it with grass seed in a walk-behind distributor to help repair my lawn (the wheat growing quickly, shading the grass seed) and planted 40 lb of wheat to get some ground coverage at the edge of my small vegetable field to reduce erosion.

I heard the ads for the event a week ago and was intrigued enough to look it up after the fact.:)

Graham

/ Combine world record #6  
BWD
Not being a farmer but living in farm country, maybe I can give an answer to your question. A lot of times, the crops don't ripen all at the same time so "straight combining" (with a reel and cutter on the combine) is difficult with such variable moisture. Keep in mind, we have a lot shorter growing season up here than they do in Texas. So a lot of farmers "swath" their crops--that is, cut it with a machine called a swather and lay it in windrows. With a little sun and a bit of wind and a bit of time, the grain in the windrows dries to the same level. The combine is then fitted with a "pickup" which is exactly what it sounds like--it picks up the swath and runs it through the combine. Usually the reel is removed from the combine for this operation. Hope this explains well enough.

/ Combine world record #7  
Cam-Saskatoon Canada,

Hey thanks!

That makes perfect sense now.

Appreciate the info.

I must say, it kind of looks funny with those huge combines and running those small pick-up heads. It seems more regal/noble when they strut their stuff and have those massive reels on them like in the lower 48. :laughing:

/ Combine world record #8  
So a lot of farmers "swath" their crops--.

Or as they say in North Dakota......a "swatter"

Small grain's are swathed, or windrowed when still a bit green to prevent shelling kernels of grain out of the heads, then after they lay in the field and dry picked up with whats known as a pickup attachement that is attached to a short header on the combine thus feeding the unthrashed grain into the combine. SunD is one of the most used pickup attachements on the market.

/ Combine world record #9  
Sure is ALOT of GREEN in the picture:).

/ Combine world record #10  
AWESOME! Thanks for the post!