backhoe remove and install times

/ backhoe remove and install times #11  
...He said that it had been his experience that the PTO pump (with the L3400) provided more power and better response than the tractor hydraulics.
Well, there isn't any "wrong" answer here, and I don't want to poo-poo your dealer...

But the "more power and better response" reasoning is questionable advice... that's a new one. The only thing the BH needs from the pump is flow at a rated pressure. The flow rate determines the "response". The BH80-X is designed for 5-7 gpm, your implement loop provides 6.3 gpm - no problem. The "power" has little to do with the pump, it's determined by the work cylinders and the BH's pressure relief valve. In no case is my tractor pump the limiting factor. Most people don't even operate them at the rated flow much of the time, because the boom moves too fast.

What I'm trying to say is, you really would not be able to tell the difference between your tractor's hydraulics and your PTO pump. The primary reason they even offer a PTO pump is for older tractors that cannot generate the required flow/sustain pressure; that's not your or my modern tractor.

I also like the idea of keeping implement fluids isolated from the tractor hydraulics... maybe an unreasonable concern on my part.
This is a better argument, you're not the only one who has said that. The only thing I would offer is consider this: All of the fluid running through the work circuits has been filtered (at the HST sump). If you have a FEL, it is running off of the "tractor hydraulics". If your BH was plumbed into the tractor, it would be in the loop with the FEL. So... if it's OK for the FEL, why wouldn't it be OK for the BH? Are we to think the hydraulics of the BH are somehow dirtier than everything else? There are more cylinders, but only one, at most two, are doing anything at a time; the "waste" fluid simply goes back to be re-filtered.

Sorry, not trying to tell you what you should do differently. Just seems there's a situation where it looks you're dealing with a lot of inconvenience, and it's perhaps for zero or little benefit. It's just unfortunate to me that you don't want to use your BH more because of it :(; it's a great machine. :)

Last edited:
   / backhoe remove and install times #12  
If I lower my B3030 arms and let them swing to the center position, they slip right inside and underneath the BH80-X frame. I don't have to remove anything... even with the telescoping ends (I never keep the top link on anyway). See pic below.

Have you ever actually tried this? Not sure why it would be any different on your L.

Also, curious why you have the PTO pump... your tractor hydraulics are more than adequate to run the BH, in which case the PTO pump is way more trouble than what it's worth.

What is your ground clearance when you do this ,, I go through heavy brush and stumps and would worry they would hang up..???

/ backhoe remove and install times #13  
What is your ground clearance when you do this ,, I go through heavy brush and stumps and would worry they would hang up..???
It isn't easy to tell from the angle in my pic, but the cutout that the arms pass through/under is higher than the rest of the BH frame... in other words, the arms do not hang below the frame, the frame is still the lowest point. The arms of course hang no lower than they would if the BH wasn't there with the 3PH down.

So there are probably more things to be concerned about getting hung up on going thru stumps and brush... like an HST filter :eek:

/ backhoe remove and install times #14  
About how long does it take to attach and remove a subframe mounted backhoe from the tractor. I'm looking at a zetor C47l with loader and backhoe. Its got 410 hours and they are asking 16500. do you have to remove the large attaching bracket to use the 3 point hitch.

I doubt that it's the type of mount that you are talking about, but years ago, I once rented a Kubota L-35 and a box blade for a weekend.

When the rentor delivered the stuff, he went through the process of showing me how the tractor worked AND, since I had the box blade, he showed me how to remove the hoe and reinstall it.

Upon trying to reinstall the hoe back onto the machine, he tried & tried.... ultimately, I think it took him near an hour to get the backhoe installed. I know it wasn't on even ground but then again, it wasn't on a hillside either :)

Since I saw how much time it took him to reinstall it and my rental time was limited, I simply did all my backhoe work and forgot about the boxblade. I never took the hoe off the machine.

/ backhoe remove and install times #15  
On my Branson I have to take my 3 pth off first and that takes about 10 min. Even if the hoe isn't on level ground, if I connect the two hydraulic lines first and use the outriggers to get the two rear hoe mount hooks on the lower arm bolts and then lower the ouriggers the front hooks drop into place. Total time on a good day 20 min.:eek:

/ backhoe remove and install times #16  
I have an L3400 and Woods BH80-X backhoe. The problem is that I have to remove the 3 point arms to attach the hoe... that is what takes the time... I would estimate about 30 min. to remove the 3 pt. and then about 5-10 min to install the hoe and pto pump. When you want to go back to 3 pt. implements you need to spend an equal amount of time to get there. I do know that I would be using my hoe a lot more if I could hook it up without having to deal with the 3 pt. linkage.

I'll second that! I'd have that bh on & off weekly if it wasn't a pia to get the
3pt on & off.