Winter prep

/ Winter prep #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
Not for the tractor; old Clementine works right through the worst winter has to throw at us. Talking about the land here. I was going to mow the field one last time, but the 2" of rain we got in the last couple of days nixed that idea -- too soggy! I need to mount the backhoe to dig the silt out of the drainage ditches one last time, but while I have the winch mounted am dragging as many hardwood logs out of the forest as possible so we have a head start on the wood supply for the winter of 03-04. Also still have to cut up and split the backup supply for this winter. I think I have plenty, but the cost of running out of heating wood in March or April is just too high! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Must also go through the shop and garage making sure all the tools are properly put away, as searching for one wrench in the middle of a blizzard is not my idea of fun!

How do others prepare for winter?

Pete

/ Winter prep #2  
Pete, Sounds like the same drill I do around here. Move all things that that can freeze into the heated part of the garage, one last mowing, leaf removal, and making sure there are no holes in the drive that would make snow plowing a tougher job. Of course, I don't have the large piece of property you have, but with my football coaching, time is at a premium for my few acres. Oh yeah, I'd better remmber to prep the pressure washer for storage. Darn you, just responding has given me more to do!
Will

/ Winter prep
Ah, the pressure washer! Thanks for reminding me! I live in dread of having that thing damaged by freezing. Also must treat all my fuel and run each internal combustion device to get treated fuel into the carburetors. Then the little things like bringing all the spray cans into heated spaces. Nothing more frustrating than having a full can of WD-40 that refuses to spray any more!

Pete

/ Winter prep #4  
Pete:
Don't give use the old sob story. Think Snow and ski's. Your in prime country.

Egon

/ Winter prep #5  
Pete
/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Yesterday it was 72 degrees. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Today it’s 76 degrees, /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif and tomorrow it’s going to be in the 80’s. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif I’m not thinking about winter until next year. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif
As soon as the trees start changing colors I’m going to clean up all the equipment and rig the <font color=orange>KUBOTA</font color=orange> for winter. Might get enough snow this year to make it worthwhile putting them on. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

/ Winter prep
<font color=blue>Think Snow and ski's. Your in prime country. </font color=blue>

True, but I can't ski. My left knee was redesigned by shrapnel several years ago and the knee doesn't do well with side stress. Snowshoeing is fun, but much slower. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Pete

/ Winter prep #7  
Pete: i put all the summer stuff away in the other garage, put anything that might freeze down in the basement, put out my driveway markers, and put back blade on tractor, cut the fields for the last time,make sure tractor has fresh oil and filter, and just wait for the snow.

/ Winter prep #8  
Pete:
My Appologies for the flipant response. It was made in ignorance of the situation.

Egon

/ Winter prep
Egon -- No offense taken, old friend. Scars aren't visible on the Web! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Pete

/ Winter prep #10  
I give everything a final cut around mid-October (might be more like December this year). I give both the mower and cutter a thorough cleaning, sharpen the blades, grease them up, and check the gear box oil. I remove the wheels from the mower and put both units up on 4X4's.

The tiller comes out and goes to work on the garden and part of the flower beds. It gets cleaned, greased, etc and put back into the barn.

The snowblower comes out and gets verified. It should be ready to go as I always take care of things before putting them away. Maybe just a shot of grease here and there to make sure.

More specifically on this year's list: I cut down a couple of trees in the back of the field last fall and just stacked the rounds between two saplings. I need to go down there, collect them with the pick-up, split them and stack them.