Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #11  
I wouldn't hesitate (do it often) doing it with any of my Deere 425, 455, or X485 all with 54" decks. The only problem is getting the cut material out the discharge. I have the discharge cover off, but the first pass sometimes the cuttings plug up, and have to clear them by going a couple feet in reverse. Thistles are no problem, but when they lay over, the blades miss cutting them off. So there too, have to back up to get them up into the deck. I've mowed several acres and some prairie trails this summer with the diesel 455 that has the mulcher blades. Handles it with ease.

Just watch your belts and give it a try, and stop if the mower will not handle it. But I'd at least try.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory.
Well, he has a Massey Ferguson, not a Kubota; not familiar with the deck or belts on that model.

I took his question as not "could it be done", but "should it be done". I have no doubt my Kubota would do it, I just wouldn't. There is no way I would even consider it with my John Deere 2305 as it would overheat and probably burn the belt or cause significant wear.

You've interpreted my dilemma correctly, there's no doubt I could do it with the MMMM. If I'm lucky the tractor will overheat early in the process and through stroke of luck light the field on fire which will take care of the rest.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #13  
I have used the mmm on my Simplicity for that kind of thing in smaller areas. I've never had a problem, but I go very slowly, and only cut about half the mower width each pass. That makes it easier on the mower, and easier to spot land mines in the field.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #14  
I wouldn't hesitate (do it often) doing it with any of my Deere 425, 455, or X485 all with 54" decks. The only problem is getting the cut material out the discharge. I have the discharge cover off, but the first pass sometimes the cuttings plug up, and have to clear them by going a couple feet in reverse. Thistles are no problem, but when they lay over, the blades miss cutting them off. So there too, have to back up to get them up into the deck. I've mowed several acres and some prairie trails this summer with the diesel 455 that has the mulcher blades. Handles it with ease.

Just watch your belts and give it a try, and stop if the mower will not handle it. But I'd at least try.

You sure have had better service out of your John Deere mowers than I have. My 425 with 54" MMM was always bad to smoke or throw the belt and constantly clogged up when mowing anything heavy. I have had my JD2305 in the shop three times with deck problems and have to blow it out about every hour to keep it from over heating.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #15  
You have plenty of power. It will probably work out.

Bush hogs are great for unknown territory. They are made from much thicker material. They have "stump jumpers" to avoid destroying them on unmoveable objects. They are PTO driven and do not have belts to break.

I would probably try it with my newly acquired used JD LX279 riding mower with 17 HP and a 48" deck. But if I damaged it I know that I can replace the deck with another used one for $400. Much cheaper than your deck.

I know that my B21 with a 5' bush hog would do it without causing any problems.

If your GC is a working tractor and not a perfect garage queen then go for it. If you wax it I would keep it out of that mess.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #16  
I should add, it wouldn't hurt to walk around a bit and have a look when you get there. We don't have alot of rocks and I know no one is dumping where I mow so I have not run into any surprises. I even mowed a couple acres of it one time when a Scotts 1642 (cheap John Deere consumer 16hp single cylinder with 42" deck). The hydrostatic drive was wonderful, I could creep along as slow as I needed.

Good luck, you'll do fine which ever way you decide to go...

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #17  
None of us can make the decision for the OP, however he is risking damaging a very expensive ($2K plus) piece of equipment mowing this lot.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #18  
You sure have had better service out of your John Deere mowers than I have. My 425 with 54" MMM was always bad to smoke or throw the belt and constantly clogged up when mowing anything heavy. I have had my JD2305 in the shop three times with deck problems and have to blow it out about every hour to keep it from over heating.

I guess so. I've had the 54" decks since middle 90's, and to my knowledge have never slipped a belt. Have thrown them off a few times when a stick flips up onto the deck. I leave the belt covers off so I can blow off the tractor and deck after every mowing. Otherwise there can be grass build-up that plugs and rots under the covers.

I can honestly say I haven't found where these mowers will not go through. But am amazed at the thick tall grass that these mower decks will plow through. I twice a year mow a three acre walnut plantation with no problem, mow between rows of spruce/oak in a 4 acre plantation, and recently broke the trails open at our Town prairie planting (the hired mowing service said they couldn't mow it with their ZTR).

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #19  
I don't want to upset any green owners, but the commercial Simplicity, MF, and Kubota decks are built quite a bit heavier than the "C" series JD decks. They are more like the 7Iron in depth, and ruggedness.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #20  
I guess so. I've had the 54" decks since middle 90's, and to my knowledge have never slipped a belt. Have thrown them off a few times when a stick flips up onto the deck. I leave the belt covers off so I can blow off the tractor and deck after every mowing. Otherwise there can be grass build-up that plugs and rots under the covers.

I can honestly say I haven't found where these mowers will not go through. But am amazed at the thick tall grass that these mower decks will plow through. I twice a year mow a three acre walnut plantation with no problem, mow between rows of spruce/oak in a 4 acre plantation, and recently broke the trails open at our Town prairie planting (the hired mowing service said they couldn't mow it with their ZTR).

Sure wish mine had worked that well, they have pretty much soured me on the JD in this size. We went with them as we had such good service out of an old 265. We don't even use our 425 anymore and will be selling it this year or next.