Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory.

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #21  
I have an old Challenger 60" rfm that I use in like manor 2-3 times a year on 4 to 5 acres . with no problem. I have to slow down 2-3 gears but have not damage the mower or tractor.
I agree that a rotary cutter is better, but like the OP don't always have one available.

Last edited:
   / Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory.
An update, I hauled the tractor to the woods this morning to take a look. The grass wasn't too bad, a few feet tall but not too thick, there was far more thistle than I anticipated some approaching 5 feet tall but thankfully the stocks were less than an inch and somewhat soft. So I gave it a go, first time around with mower raised as high as it could go to rough cut and get a feel for how smooth the ground was (relatively smooth with no rocks), then dropped down for more of a finish cut. Neither the grass or thistle appeared to give the mower any problems and it sang beautifully for the 2.5 hours it took to complete the job. The tall thistle as any with experience would know doesn't cut well when laying flat against the ground parallel after being pushed down by the tractor/mower and it took a lot of back and forth and other jigging around to get most of it cut. End result my father-in-law is truly impressed with the job, the field looks lawn-like with some bare thistle stock still sticking up (I forgot to bring the lopping shears).

Thanks for all the replies, time to get my blades sharpened.:)

/ Mid Mount Finish Mower for quasi bush hog territory. #23  
Glad it worked out well for you.