Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #1  

robininni

I have just repaired the slip clutch on my new shredder. The consensus from a different thread about this seems to be that the clutch was set too loose from the dealership. Anyway, I replaced one of the slip discs that had disentigrated and have it back together now. I tightened the 8 clutch bolts all the way down to what the manual said was the correct length of the springs on the bolts (1 inch). This is a Land Pride RCR1872, by the way.

Anyway, in the manual, it also talks about a clutch run-in procedure of marking the clutch across both slip discs and metal discs in between with a pencil, then loosening each bolt exactly two turns, then starting the PTO for 3 seconds, stopping it, starting in again for 3 seconds, stopping it, and then checking the pencil mark.

It says if the pencil marks are not all at different places now it means the clutch didn't slip properly and it needs to be taken apart and reassembled. If the pencil marks are all different and not in one line anymore, then I assume you retighten the clutch bolts and you are ready to go.

When I assembled the clutch back together, I didn't do this run-in loosening procedure, however, I did make the pencil mark and did the PTO engagement for 3 seconds twice and then looked and there was no slippage. Of course, since I didn't loosen the bolts, I assumed there wouldn't be any. Should I loosen the bolts and make sure it does slip and then retighten?

Also, how should I engage the PTO? I have been lowering the engine rpm to 1200-1500 and then engaging and then raising it to 2600 rpm for shredder operation. Is this a good way to do it or should I be starting PTO from basically idle? I have a Kubota L5240.

I am brand new to ag equipment. This is my first tractor and shredder so please help me out. I am sorry if any of this seems like common sense. I just want to make sure I am doing things right since I don't want to tear up my equipment. On the other hand, I don't want to be unnecessarily **** about things. Thanks!

Rob

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #2  
I don't have a slip clutch but I think I understand the instructions. I think they want you to loosen the bolts as instructed to allow the clutch to slip a little, making sure it does properly and then tighten it back up once it does. It will do you no good to have it not slip as it is supposed to when you need it to. I'm pretty sure it also 'breaks in' the friction material a bit to give a more controlled slip.

My Kubota manual and my mower manual tells me to idle down when engaging PTO, then bring it up to speed.

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #3  
I would loosen the nuts and check the slip, this is what its supposed to do to protect your tractor. We all had to learn at some point so dont be to hard on yourself.

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #4  
Well I have a shear bolt on mine and don't have to worry about it,,as far as starting,I start from idle,go up to the mark on tack from there.

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #5  
Sound like the loosening of the bolts is just a way to double-check that the bolt springs are not too tight. However, I would bet that many, many operators, dealers, and mechanics have never done this. Not that it is a bad idea, but some people just don't take the extra step to ensure everything is correct.

For PTO engagement, idle speed is best. Less shock or jolt to the system when engaging at the lower RPM's.

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #6  
If I just had the slip clutch apart, I wouldn't bother to recheck as you know they are not stuck, I suspect that regardless you are going to feel better if you do.

On all my tractors, I engage the PTO at about 1200-1500 RPM and then spool up. If I try to engage my DS1260 at an idle it will just about kill the engine.

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please
Thanks for all the replies. This forum is such a great resource and you all are very helpful!

Rob

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #8  
Anyway, in the manual, it also talks about a clutch run-in procedure of marking the clutch across both slip discs and metal discs in between with a pencil, then loosening each bolt exactly two turns, then starting the PTO for 3 seconds, stopping it, starting in again for 3 seconds, stopping it, and then checking the pencil mark.

It says if the pencil marks are not all at different places now it means the clutch didn't slip properly and it needs to be taken apart and reassembled.
Rob
Its possible that manual was written in China. What you have been told to do makes an assumption about how abruptly the tractor accelerates its pto when engaged. This can vary a lot. I think you should loosen it enuf so you can slip it by hand and assure it works smoothly. Then mark it, tighten to spec and go thru some thick grass. It should not slip at all in heavy smooth cutting, but should slip a little if you hit something solid or cut something more than a couple inches in diameter. Marks will tell you it has slipped but not how much. Heat will tell you. It takes a while to heat if slipping in short jerks as it should so check frequently at first. Getting a little warm in continued ruf stuff is ok. Hot means its too loose. This will cause it to wear quickly and lose friction causing more slip. It will burn it up if allowed to continue.
larry

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #9  
Also, how should I engage the PTO? I have been lowering the engine rpm to 1200-1500 and then engaging and then raising it to 2600 rpm for shredder operation. Is this a good way to do it or should I be starting PTO from basically idle? I have a Kubota L5240.

I
Rob

It's always easier on all the equipment when you start the pto with the machine idled down to a point that it will start the implement.. and not lug the machine down or stall it.. yet low enough so that it does not shock load.

if your pto engagement allows for some feathering, use it.

soundguy

/ Shredder slip clutch function and proper PTO engagement help please #10  

My Rhino 172 manual contains pretty much the same guidance.