Grease Zirc problem

/ Grease Zirc problem #1  

jedens

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 4610
On my backhoe I have a grease zirc that doesn't seem to want to take grease. I have a hand pump grease gun and when I put it on this particular zirc I can't seem to pump grease into it. Also when I try to remove the grease gun nozzle it is extremely difficult to remove it. This only happens on this one zirc. I'm pretty new at this so I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Grease Zirc problem #2  
There may be something in the zirc, or the zirc is damaged in some way (this might be why the hose won't come off). If mine, I would replace the zirc with a new one.

/ Grease Zirc problem #3  
You may have pressure on the "joint" your are trying to grease. I know on my hoe I have a hard time greasing my upper pivot (for swinging) joint. Also some times the zirc may be plugged. By adding some heat (slightly) you might be able to un plug it. But if the zirc is easy to get at remove it and stick it into the gun and see if it will flow grease. If it doesn't you may have a plugged/bad zirc.

/ Grease Zirc problem #4  
It's probably dried grease in the Zerk fitting passage. The fitting is pretty easy to remove, so take it off and try a little solvent. Or, you can just replace the fitting.

These fittings aren't particularly robust. As they aren't that expensive, it probably wouldn't hurt to keep a ½ dozen on hand.

/ Grease Zirc problem #5  
A gentle little tap on the ball will most times "un-stick" it.

Jerry

/ Grease Zirc problem #6  
The way I do mine is take the zirc off, dig the gunk out of the back with a small screwdriver, then squirt wd-40 in it. Push ball in front in with hose on wd-40 and flush the remaining stuff out. If the ball won't reseat and seal, usually a few taps with a wire from the front will get it to reseat. Hope this helps.

/ Grease Zirc problem
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. Next time I'm at my property (90 miles away) where my tractor is I'll try removing the zirc. How do you remove the zirc? Do they just screw out by using pliers?

/ Grease Zirc problem #8  
The easiest thing to do is just replace the zerk. If you want to keep it try cleaning it. Remove the zerk and then take a small pointed object like a wire or screwdriver and clean out the junk inside. Then put the grease gun on the zerk and give it one or two pumps to be sure grease will pump through and to clean out any residual junk. Remove the zerk from the grease gun and put it back on your backhoe. As someone else mentioned, be sure there is no pressure on the hydraulics when greasing the zerk.
If the zerk sticks tightly to the grease gun, then the end is probably not perfectly sized right. No easy solution to this but replace the zerk. A new zerk costs less than $2.

/ Grease Zirc problem #9  
Most screw in and usually takes a 3\8 or 5\16 wrench to remove. Some are pressed in and more difficult to remove - try a visc grip. The pressed in ones have a round, smooth base. The screw in ones will let you use a wrench.

/ Grease Zirc problem #10  
If you get a new zerk, be sure to remove the old and take it with you to get the right size. They come in various sizes, angles etc.