Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 4610

Default Grease Zirc problem

On my backhoe I have a grease zirc that doesn't seem to want to take grease. I have a hand pump grease gun and when I put it on this particular zirc I can't seem to pump grease into it. Also when I try to remove the grease gun nozzle it is extremely difficult to remove it. This only happens on this one zirc. I'm pretty new at this so I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: Grease Zirc problem

There may be something in the zirc, or the zirc is damaged in some way (this might be why the hose won't come off). If mine, I would replace the zirc with a new one.

Tractor
    2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader

You may have pressure on the "joint" your are trying to grease. I know on my hoe I have a hard time greasing my upper pivot (for swinging) joint. Also some times the zirc may be plugged. By adding some heat (slightly) you might be able to un plug it. But if the zirc is easy to get at remove it and stick it into the gun and see if it will flow grease. If it doesn't you may have a plugged/bad zirc.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

It's probably dried grease in the Zerk fitting passage. The fitting is pretty easy to remove, so take it off and try a little solvent. Or, you can just replace the fitting.

These fittings aren't particularly robust. As they aren't that expensive, it probably wouldn't hurt to keep a dozen on hand.

A gentle little tap on the ball will most times "un-stick" it.

Jerry

Tractor
    JD 750 (first was '62 AC D-12 w/ factory 3pt.)

The way I do mine is take the zirc off, dig the gunk out of the back with a small screwdriver, then squirt wd-40 in it. Push ball in front in with hose on wd-40 and flush the remaining stuff out. If the ball won't reseat and seal, usually a few taps with a wire from the front will get it to reseat. Hope this helps.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 4610

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. Next time I'm at my property (90 miles away) where my tractor is I'll try removing the zirc. How do you remove the zirc? Do they just screw out by using pliers?

Tractor
    Kubota L3710, JD5300, AC D19, IH 806, IH 8950, Ford 8N, Farmal Super M, several others in the past.

The easiest thing to do is just replace the zerk. If you want to keep it try cleaning it. Remove the zerk and then take a small pointed object like a wire or screwdriver and clean out the junk inside. Then put the grease gun on the zerk and give it one or two pumps to be sure grease will pump through and to clean out any residual junk. Remove the zerk from the grease gun and put it back on your backhoe. As someone else mentioned, be sure there is no pressure on the hydraulics when greasing the zerk.
    If the zerk sticks tightly to the grease gun, then the end is probably not perfectly sized right. No easy solution to this but replace the zerk. A new zerk costs less than $2.

Tractor
    Kubota L3710, JD5300, AC D19, IH 806, IH 8950, Ford 8N, Farmal Super M, several others in the past.

Most screw in and usually takes a 3\8 or 5\16 wrench to remove. Some are pressed in and more difficult to remove - try a visc grip. The pressed in ones have a round, smooth base. The screw in ones will let you use a wrench.

Tractor

If you get a new zerk, be sure to remove the old and take it with you to get the right size. They come in various sizes, angles etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast