1710 running hot

/ 1710 running hot #1  

Agrantina

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 GST
I just replaced a friends Ford 1710 water pump, no problems after we got done but after running the tractor for 15 to 20 mintues it starts to get hotter and hotter and stops at 3/4 on the gauge. Gauge is functioning properly and the thing never over heats. We don't know what thermostate degree is in it right now. I see that there are a few differnt degress, 165, 172 and 188? that I can buy. Which should I try? We are in TN so we don't have cold cold weather so I was thinking about the 165? What do you guys recommend?

Andy G

/ 1710 running hot #2  
In replacing the water pump you may have fixed something that was causing the temp to read low. Most engines run in the 180 - 200 deg. range. 3/4 hot means nothing by itself; it must be tied to a temperature. If you have access to an Inferred Red thermometer, test the temperature at the T-stat housing, it will read close to the T-stat rating. The operating temperature of the T stat is stamped somewhere on the case, it could be in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
The engine manual is a good source for the T-stat rating.

/ 1710 running hot
O.k will try that, but where or what is the t-stat housing? I would say the thermastat housing. right:thumbsup:

thanks

/ 1710 running hot
That is what the local parts guy said also. We will try that one and see. Is there a Possibility that something else could be wrong? Hoses are new, new water pump... Is there a way to check/ clean the radiator also? The fins look to be in good shape and doesn't look to be clogged up. We checked the temp with a thermometer and its reading 200 when it gets to 3/4 on the guage so it does get a little hotter that it should be. Like I said before it takes it about 20 to 30 mins before it starts getting hot? and thats when you are working with it. If you stop cutting, tilling and let it just run it goes back down to the 1/2 mark on the guage. thanks

Andy G

/ 1710 running hot #5  
Good, now we know that the gauge and end temperature are in step.
A dirty radiator is possible, dirt, seed does get into the air side of the radiator and may be hard to spot.
I had to take my radiator out to give it a good cleaning. Do not use a pressure washer or you will destroy the fins, a light hosing will do. If you can see through the radiator on many spots it is most likely clean.
20-30 minims to get to 200 F, on another thought; it is the NORMAL temperature. It takes 30 Min to get to 200F, how hot does it get at 30 min + 10, +20. + 30? If the temperature holds at 200 than you are ok.

/ 1710 running hot
Not sure what you mean? How do I do that?

Andy

/ 1710 running hot #8  
Loosin' the rad cap so as it's just sittin' in it's unlocked position, start up the ol' tractor let it run so as to reach opening temp (180-200) the air if any will flow out as well as some of the coolant, but will ease up when most or all the air is out......hope this helps.......Ampa:):):)

/ 1710 running hot #9  
Exactly as AMPA says. Leave the cap off and watch the coolant for signs that the t-stat is opening and closing (fluid level dropping). You may want to add coolant at that time. It may take 10-15 minutes of idle time to burp the air out of the system.

/ 1710 running hot
10-4, we have not done that... I will do that this afternoon! any little bit helps!

Thanks,
AndyG