Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs #1  

Rus91

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4010
I was reading a post at the lawn and tractor forum and there is quite a discussion about damage that might occur if you do not operatw your engine at the RPM's it was designed for.

Specifically for tractors that have hydro trannies. Some of the issues are about leaving the tractor at a higher idle so the hydro fluid keeps pumping and stays cool.

This sort of concerns me. I tend to idle down when not doing heavy work. Should I keep the idle up? There is a considerable difference in noise and fuel consumption.

Will I hurt anything operating the way I do?

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs #2  
No answer here, but I await the responses too. My "zone" is 2200-2300, but, it just feels and sounds right at 2000. Big caveat - this is my first tractor & diesel! Still, it just feels right...
Dob

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs #3  
Brent
I did a quick search using “engine rpm” came up with a lot of threads discussing this concern.
One was one Lugging the Engine. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=65754&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Click Here</A>.
Another was on ” Never idle a diesel??..” <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=87838&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Click Here</A>.

I did not find anything specific to HST. But they did discuss the load that can be put on the engine when HST is pushed to maximum at low rpm’s
I run my engine rpm about 1800 rpm’s most of the time. Except when using an implement that is supposed to be run at PTO speed.

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs #4  
I think that you will be best served by reading your Tractors manual .. one manual I read said don't waste the fuel ... all have said get the rpm up soon after starting ... up ranges from about 1100 rpm to 1200 rpm ... but this is where you should read your manual and follow their advise. Don't lugg any engine ... you will over stress the thing and damage can occur ... I have always worked a tractor some where around the PTO speed and used the gearing and impliment performance to determine the gear and therefore the speed (always operate the tractor in a safe maner .. that should go without saying) ... sorry for being so long winded ...

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs #5  
i usually run my rpm up around 1800 or 2000 when doing fel work, and of course at pto rpm when using implement that requires it.i warm it up at about 1200 and never idle it below 1000 rpm and only fort short periods.

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs #6  
Rus, I'm no expert, but have read that running diesels too cool can harm the engine much more than the minimal wear of the designed engine speed. Sometimes you need to run at a lower RPM because of the PTO speed, but your diesel needs to get up to the proper operating temperature before you slow it down. When in those conditions, I speed the engine up between PTO operations, to help keep the temperature up. Usually I prefer the recommended engine speed, just because the hydro is faster and cycle times are faster for the FEL. Best of luck. Jon

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs
Thanks for all of the replys. I can see that the waters here are pretty cloudy but for the most part I think I am hearing it is better to run on the high side than the low.

Thanks all

Brent

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs #8  
<font color=orange> YEP!</font color=orange> u got it right /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Is it better to run your engine at higher RPMs #9  
Noted.
Thanks!