Oil & Fuel Hydraulic Oil Replacement

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #1  

Loon Lake Louie

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC23000FEL
How's she goin'? I have a GC2300 and need to change the hydraulic oil. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good, and warrenty compliant, hydraulic oil I can use that would be cheaper than AGCO's product?

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #2  
How's she goin'? I have a GC2300 and need to change the hydraulic oil. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good, and warrenty compliant, hydraulic oil I can use that would be cheaper than AGCO's product?

Noooooo.... not another oil thread.

Try the search feature on this site and you'll find more information than a normal person can digest in a lifetime.

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #3  
Subcompacts are more sensitive to the quality of the transmission/hydraulic fluid than larger tractors. They have to dissipate a lot of heat, and have good low temperature flow. Low quality fluid (that might meet spec) may have it puking out the hydro fluid when the filter ruptures on a cold winter start up. Or a really annoying whine, and loss of power when used in hot weather. The higher cost of the premium oils is partly due the additive packages that have all the goodies that enhance and extend the service life the oil. You might be able to find a $40, 5 gallon pail that meets the standard, but how much are you really saving in the long run?

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #4  
Subcompacts are more sensitive to the quality of the transmission/hydraulic fluid than larger tractors. They have to dissipate a lot of heat, and have good low temperature flow. Low quality fluid (that might meet spec) may have it puking out the hydro fluid when the filter ruptures on a cold winter start up. Or a really annoying whine, and loss of power when used in hot weather. The higher cost of the premium oils is partly due the additive packages that have all the goodies that enhance and extend the service life the oil. You might be able to find a $40, 5 gallon pail that meets the standard, but how much are you really saving in the long run?

Absolutely.:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #5  

Check Tractor Supply...I did the due diligence and found their hydraulic fluid meets all the specs for my NH - TC-29D and saved a pot load of money using it for my 300 hr. service..now have 386 hrs. on the tractor and all is fine..

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #6  
I use both TSC and walmart UTF oils in everything from my antiques to my 95hp NH.. nuttin blown up in the pasture yet.. :)

soundguy

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #7  
It's hard to answer. As DMW stated, some of these subcuts are fussy and I am not completely sure why. Maybe the heat? These subcuts typically use a little cooling fan and yes, they do run hot.

Whether TSC or WalMart, most of the generic, store brand stuff is Warren Oil, a company that I respect greatly and use their products in many applications.

However, my Kubota BX did not like the TSC stuff, even the premium, higher priced version, at all. It reacted like I had tried to poison it. :D I had to dump it and go back to using the somewhat higher priced Kubota Super UDT. All went back to normal.

I don't know why. Just reporting this rather common complaint. If you try it and like it in your GC, please let us know.

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #8  
In some cases, even though the generic UTF's meet the 'other' specs.... there are viscosity differences. Usually this is not an issue. in some cases it could be... might have been your issue.

soundguy

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #9  
In some cases, even though the generic UTF's meet the 'other' specs.... there are viscosity differences. Usually this is not an issue. in some cases it could be... might have been your issue.

soundguy

Soundguy, no doubt. The Warren stuff is typically 10w-20, as I understand it, while Kubota SUDT is something like 5w-20. Doesn't seem that radical a difference so most guys suspect some other additive package, but who knows.

The sub-cuts are widely reported with this issue. I didn't necessarily believe it wholesale, but ..... I do now. The GC of the OP may not react this way. I have no idea if Massey markets their own fluids to the extent that Kubota/Deere do.

/ Hydraulic Oil Replacement #10  
Heat is a big issue. The more expensive hydro oils are more resistant to changes in viscosity as temperatures rise. They don't thin out as much. Also better cold weather performance than Wally/TSC brands by using better base stock or additive packages.

My GC2300 blew out the hydro filter at start up on a cold morning. This was with the factory fill at 36 hours of use. Did the 50 hour service early :laughing:
Permatran went in to replace it. A lot better on the cold starts. The permatran lasted @100 hours due to water contamination and then put in the equivalent of SUDT. Sounds even better, hot or cold.

I consider the SUDT money well spent. The GC holds less than 5 gallons. An extra $10-20/year for me. Take a look at repair costs, and the fluid doesn't seem that expensive. Just my :2cents:.