Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC23000FEL

Default Hydraulic Oil Replacement

How's she goin'? I have a GC2300 and need to change the hydraulic oil. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good, and warrenty compliant, hydraulic oil I can use that would be cheaper than AGCO's product?

Default Re: Hydraulic Oil Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Loon Lake Louie View Post
    How's she goin'? I have a GC2300 and need to change the hydraulic oil. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good, and warrenty compliant, hydraulic oil I can use that would be cheaper than AGCO's product?
    Noooooo.... not another oil thread.

Try the search feature on this site and you'll find more information than a normal person can digest in a lifetime.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

DMW
    Tractor
    MF GC2300

Subcompacts are more sensitive to the quality of the transmission/hydraulic fluid than larger tractors. They have to dissipate a lot of heat, and have good low temperature flow. Low quality fluid (that might meet spec) may have it puking out the hydro fluid when the filter ruptures on a cold winter start up. Or a really annoying whine, and loss of power when used in hot weather. The higher cost of the premium oils is partly due the additive packages that have all the goodies that enhance and extend the service life the oil. You might be able to find a $40, 5 gallon pail that meets the standard, but how much are you really saving in the long run?
    results are not typical, individual results may vary.
    MF GC2300, R1s, FEL, 48" RSB, 48" Box Blade, BXM32

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    Subcompacts are more sensitive to the quality of the transmission/hydraulic fluid than larger tractors. They have to dissipate a lot of heat, and have good low temperature flow. Low quality fluid (that might meet spec) may have it puking out the hydro fluid when the filter ruptures on a cold winter start up. Or a really annoying whine, and loss of power when used in hot weather. The higher cost of the premium oils is partly due the additive packages that have all the goodies that enhance and extend the service life the oil. You might be able to find a $40, 5 gallon pail that meets the standard, but how much are you really saving in the long run?
    Absolutely.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Loon Lake Louie View Post
    Check Tractor Supply...I did the due diligence and found their hydraulic fluid meets all the specs for my NH - TC-29D and saved a pot load of money using it for my 300 hr. service..now have 386 hrs. on the tractor and all is fine..
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I use both TSC and walmart UTF oils in everything from my antiques to my 95hp NH.. nuttin blown up in the pasture yet..

soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

It's hard to answer. As DMW stated, some of these subcuts are fussy and I am not completely sure why. Maybe the heat? These subcuts typically use a little cooling fan and yes, they do run hot.

Whether TSC or WalMart, most of the generic, store brand stuff is Warren Oil, a company that I respect greatly and use their products in many applications.

However, my kubota BX did not like the TSC stuff, even the premium, higher priced version, at all. It reacted like I had tried to poison it. I had to dump it and go back to using the somewhat higher priced Kubota Super UDT. All went back to normal.

I don't know why. Just reporting this rather common complaint. If you try it and like it in your GC, please let us know.
    BP

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

In some cases, even though the generic UTF's meet the 'other' specs.... there are viscosity differences. Usually this is not an issue. in some cases it could be... might have been your issue.

soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    In some cases, even though the generic UTF's meet the 'other' specs.... there are viscosity differences. Usually this is not an issue. in some cases it could be... might have been your issue.

soundguy
    Soundguy, no doubt. The Warren stuff is typically 10w-20, as I understand it, while kubota SUDT is something like 5w-20. Doesn't seem that radical a difference so most guys suspect some other additive package, but who knows.

The sub-cuts are widely reported with this issue. I didn't necessarily believe it wholesale, but ..... I do now. The GC of the OP may not react this way. I have no idea if Massey markets their own fluids to the extent that Kubota/Deere do.
    BP

DMW
    Tractor
    MF GC2300

Heat is a big issue. The more expensive hydro oils are more resistant to changes in viscosity as temperatures rise. They don't thin out as much. Also better cold weather performance than Wally/TSC brands by using better base stock or additive packages.

My GC2300 blew out the hydro filter at start up on a cold morning. This was with the factory fill at 36 hours of use. Did the 50 hour service early
    Permatran went in to replace it. A lot better on the cold starts. The permatran lasted @100 hours due to water contamination and then put in the equivalent of SUDT. Sounds even better, hot or cold.

I consider the SUDT money well spent. The GC holds less than 5 gallons. An extra $10-20/year for me. Take a look at repair costs, and the fluid doesn't seem that expensive. Just my .
    results are not typical, individual results may vary.
    MF GC2300, R1s, FEL, 48" RSB, 48" Box Blade, BXM32

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast