Just got the Farmi hooked up!

/ Just got the Farmi hooked up! #1  

Famah

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L3700SU
:D:D:D

My friend dropped off his Farmi logging winch about an hour ago. I just got it all hooked up and am taking a quick lunch/forum break before I head out to use it for the first time. I am so psyched.

Because of the drought we have had here in the NE, an old beaver pond I have has no standing water at all. There is a lot of standing dead wood around it, and lots of downed dead wood I want to drag out. Before the winch, I had to back right up to the butt of the trees. Well before the pond proper, it started getting quite soft and soupy. I got good and stuck once, buried in mud up to my front axle.:eek: Now I can sit on totally dry land and winch them up. Oh the luxury! :cool:

I will post how it goes. Take care.

Famah

/ Just got the Farmi hooked up! #2  
Pictures.
Don't forget the pictures!

/ Just got the Farmi hooked up! #3  
Have fun But be careful around that pond. I had a two acre beaver pond and the dam got washed out in July 2006. Its been dry ever since except for the brook. Full of standing dead trees like you said. I can walk on it but cant get near it with the tractor. Got stuck twice - real nasty. If you want to try a spot go in frontwards so you can winch your self back out if need be.
But with your new winch you probably plan on staying on solid ground. You will like it.

/ Just got the Farmi hooked up! #4  
pull in line with the tractor.............. any angle over 15 degrees, you have to watch carefully. make sure the lanyard has you standing well to the side of the tractor and, if pulling at ANY angle, away from the direction of the pull! Have a good time!

/ Just got the Farmi hooked up! #5  
Cool Nick, good to hear from you again! cant wait for the pix!
James K0UA

/ Just got the Farmi hooked up! #6  
Working among dead trees is a very scary proposition. Hope you have a good hardhat, and don't need it. :)

Look forward to pics.

What kind of dead trees and are they for firewood?

/ Just got the Farmi hooked up!
Good Morning All:

I don't want to PO the neighbors, so I am having my coffee and checking in before I fire her up and head back down to the pond. I got more done in 4 hours yesterday than in the past 20 hours of needing to back right up to the trees, never mind getting stuck. That winch is incredible. Since the trees are all dead (mostly hemlock with some swamp maples thrown in) and have been in such wet conditions for so long, I am pulling them out, roots and all. So far, it has been like pulling dandelions! I just park on the edge of the truly solid ground and let the cable do the rest. What a tool.

I will make sure to get some pics today and post them this evening or tomorrow morning.

A friend is coming over this afternoon with his welder to work on our ballast project. I am in the process of putting up a shed with a concrete floor. We have 2 55 gallon plastic containers ready to go, as well as 2 draw bars. We just need to weld up something for the top link to attach to and then we will be ready for them to fill the barrels when they come to pour the floor.

Progress. Slow, but steady. Have a great day!

Famah

/ Just got the Farmi hooked up! #8  
Glad all is going well. I am curious though why you are moving the trees.
Are you making low grade firewood just because it is available like I do. Or
are you going to build a pond there and want the root balls out? Or are you
pulling them out because it is alot safer than cutting down dead trees where falling branches and unpredictable felling is a big danger as DeadHorse said.