Ballast Ballast Box pics (and others)

/ Ballast Box pics (and others) #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
Hey everybody:

Some of you have inquired about my ballast box and wanted to see some pictures. It took me a while to get all of the parts to it (one of the lift pins was missing), but today I finally got it together. I have not filled it with concrete yet, however I hooked it up and snapped a few pictures. I also took a few of the tractor itself... but you can ignore those.:D

If you have any questions, fire away...

Attachments

• IMG_1528_small.jpg
    IMG_1528_small.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 911
  • IMG_1529_small.jpg
    IMG_1529_small.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_1530_small.jpg
    IMG_1530_small.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_1531_small.jpg
    IMG_1531_small.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_1533_small.jpg
    IMG_1533_small.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 579
   / Ballast Box pics (and others) #2  
Very nice,! you might want to put in some PVC pipes for handle tools vertically before you pour the concrete. I put in 3, I wish I had put in 4:laughing: they sure are handy:thumbsup:
James K0UA

/ Ballast Box pics (and others)
Very nice,! you might want to put in some PVC pipes for handle tools vertically before you pour the concrete. I put in 3, I wish I had put in 4:laughing: they sure are handy:thumbsup:
James K0UA

I have read a lot about that on this site. Sounds like a great idea!

/ Ballast Box pics (and others) #4  
I just picked my ballast box up yesterday afternoon. RJ, I think we have the same box. My part number is for cat1, your part number is for cat2? I put tie down anchors on this morning, will silicon internal seams tomorrow, then off to the concrete company. Philip.

Attachments

• DSCN4626.JPG
    DSCN4626.JPG
    980 KB · Views: 672
  • DSCN4623.JPG
    DSCN4623.JPG
    992.6 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN4624.JPG
    DSCN4624.JPG
    950.2 KB · Views: 696
  • DSCN4625.jpg
    DSCN4625.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 431
   / Ballast Box pics (and others) #5  
If you don't mind me asking, how much does Kubota get for those boxes?

Al

I see some subtle differences that indicates they are different boxes. That would make sense since the part numbers are different. The most notable difference I see is the channel iron that runs horizontally across the top that reinforces to top link attachment. On mine, my channel iron is 6 1/2" and goes below the top link attachment bracing.

I'll post another pic later today.

Here are the dimensions of my ballast box, measured at the top ID:

28.75" deep (front-to-rear)
28.25" wide (left-to-right)
32.75" high (top-to-bottom)

I figure it is around 14 cf and should weight around 2,000 lbs when full of concrete.

Kubota listed mine at $575. I got it for 15% off... so around $488. Not cheap for a box, but I don't have the time to make one and I like the looks of factory boxes.

/ Ballast Box pics (and others) #7  
Kubota listed mine at $575. I got it for 15% off... so around $488. Not cheap for a box, but I don't have the time to make one and I like the looks of factory boxes.

Wow, and everyone says that green paint is more expensive!:laughing: The JD box is under $300. But seriously, that's a nice looking box and you will be glad to have it while using your FEL.

/ Ballast Box pics (and others) #8  
Thanks for the pictures, nice ballast box and house too:thumbsup:

I need to look into getting something for our M8540. The cab may help some, but we haven't done any serious FEL work yet.

/ Ballast Box pics (and others) #9  
I put cement blocks (the solid ones) in mine and then filled in between and over the top with 3/4 inch stones/gravel. Or you could just fill it with 3/4 stone or field rocks. I still have the pvc pipe carriers too. It might not be as heavy as solid concrete but it is pretty darn heavy and it's reversible if something like a pin bends. I think it might drain and dry out better too. Something to think about.

Thanks for the pictures, nice ballast box and house too:thumbsup:

I need to look into getting something for our M8540. The cab may help some, but we haven't done any serious FEL work yet.

Thanks for the compliments. I still have some minor trim work to do on the house, but for the most part it is finished. I spent all of 2008 and 2009 building it. My wife and I were the general contractors and I did about 75% of the labor. Concrete, exterior framing, roof, plumbing and front stone porch were contracted out. I did everything else.

I have been ripping a bunch of locust trees out of the ground in my pasture. If the cutter is on I don't have much of a problem, but in tight spaces I leave it off. With nothing back there, my &ss end comes off of the ground when I am under the roots and trying to rip the tree out. Getting the bucket wedged under a root then curling the bucket really has a lot of power. I can't wait to get the box filled and start using it.

All in all, I love the M8540... it is very impressive. All of the golfers (we live next to a course) stop and watch when I am taking trees down.