How many hours is too many hours?

/ How many hours is too many hours? #21  
spart parts will depend on model. a lil research and you should have no problem finding models with great parts support.

as for spending just a lil more to get a new unit. I'd like to find out where you are buying from. for instance.. I can get a 45-55 yr old ford in the 45 hp range for 2000-3000$ with implements even.. i'm not sure what you consider ' a lil more ' but i'm not sure that you can touch a 45 hp tractor new, for less than 6-8x that money of the used. :) .. so as long as a lil more means another 15000+ added to that 2000-3000 .. then yeah... ;)

soundguy

There's a LOT of variability in the quality of old tractors. For some reason, many, many people thinks it's acceptable to leave a tractor sitting in the middle of a pasture when it's not being used, never touching it, never changing fluids, etc. until its a gummed up, rusted out old hulk. Then it's repainted and put up for sale: "good tractor, low hours..."

Just like in cars, leaking oil is almost a sure sign that fluids haven't been changed. Sludge builds up and blocks oil from reaching seals and gaskets, which then dry up and start leaking. And of course, availability of maintenance and parts is a major consideration.

I started out spending a LOT of time hunting for a used tractor and doing hours and hours of research on the internet, talking to people, etc. I ended up just spending a little more money and getting a new one.

- Ruark

/ How many hours is too many hours? #22  
sound guy u got to relize a good used tractor to us is a ford 3000-3600 series and a fairly new tractor is a 10 series but to most people a used tractor is no more than 5 years old with 100 hrs and in show room condition and anything other than that is just old wore out junk

so yea when price a 2 year old tractor to a new one the price isn't going to be that much difference

/ How many hours is too many hours? #23  
sound guy u got to relize a good used tractor to us is a ford 3000-3600 series and a fairly new tractor is a 10 series but to most people a used tractor is no more than 5 years old with 100 hrs and in show room condition and anything other than that is just old wore out junk

so yea when price a 2 year old tractor to a new one the price isn't going to be that much difference

well yeah.. if you are pricing a new tractor to one that was new 100 hrs ago.. yeah..:)

and yup.. heck.. new to me is a 000 series ;)

soundguy

/ How many hours is too many hours? #24  
My brother is pretty excited about his "new" tractor, it is a 56 Ford 600. We already have a 54 NAA and 55 600. We also have a Case 955 made somewhere in the 60's I think.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #25  
and its not all people but most of the people buying is looking at low hour tractors and new so there isn't no real price different

/ How many hours is too many hours? #26  
Just like in cars, leaking oil is almost a sure sign that fluids haven't been changed. Sludge builds up and blocks oil from reaching seals and gaskets, which then dry up and start leaking. And of course, availability of maintenance and parts is a major consideration.

I believe the above is a statement of opinion, but it is not a proven fact.

Tractors leak........... give them enough time and they will leak, especially at the seals between the case and the stabilizer shaft connecting the lower links to the tractor. (they may weep only in the winter and progressively get a bit worse........ but it WILL happen).

Hydraulic quick connects leak, unless the seals are replaced, which is a 1 minute job for each connect, with a cost of 5 cent O ring. Front axel seals
will weep.... not always but they do. Oil pans will weep if you do not tighten the pan bolts every once in a while. The things that keep a tractor from weeping oil are mechanical in nature, NOT the fluid changes.

My point is, leaks can be fixed, some times easily sometimes not so easy. However leaking seals is not an indicator of frequency of fluid changes in a tractor, nor is it a good indication of wear or how hard the tractor had been worked.

Those things are all mechanical....... look to the mechanical evidence. ANNNNNNNND if you don't want to purchase a used tractor that is not "house broke", then don't.

However, Don't be making up stories about how the PO abused it though..... tis bovine scattology.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #27  
heck.. on the old ones the leaks protect the metal from rust! :)

soundguy

/ How many hours is too many hours? #28  
heck if it leaks bad enuff, you never have to drain fluids, just keep addin new:laughing:

Rick

/ How many hours is too many hours? #30  
Works well for cars too And keeps the dust down on the gravel roads:laughing: