Spare tires for tractors??

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
Does anyone keep a spare wheel and tire for their tractor?? We have had two flats in the last week (one front and sadly one rear) Obviously, my rear (16.9 x 30 R1) would be too costly to have a spare, but having a spare front would be nice. I would love to run across a used 9.5 x 24 front for my Kubota. Any chance of finding a wheel this size? Does anyone sell used tractor wheels and tires? Flats always happen at the worst time, and if you are a weekend warrior, it brings progress to a standstill for a whole week. It's hard to get a repair around here on a weekend.

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #2  
I have two spare tires/rims for the front. I came across an axle from a farm wagon that had two good tires on them and the same bolt pattern. I have six spares tires/rims for the rear, but two are flat and I can't see fixing them till I get close to running out of good ones. One rear rim doesn't match the rest, but I chose it because it had never been on the ground. All of the rear rims are hot dipped galvanized.
David from jax

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #4  
I've had one front tire come off one side of the rim 3 times before finally putting tubes in both fronts. This seems to have solved my front tire problems. Have never had a rear tire lose air in 6 years. Tried Sliming the fronts for a while. Still didn't fix their air leakage. Tubes did.

Had numerous flats on the tires of my Gravely, mainly from locust thorns. They seemed to be made of much softer material than these turfs supplied on my JD 4010. The neighbor also took out his locust stump that was producing the locust sprouts.

Ralph

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #5  
Put a repair plug in a front tire yesterday. Love those tubeless tires!

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #6  
No, don't have that kind of $$ to invest in a tire that will in all likelihood dry rot before it's needed. Larger tractor tires, with rim are north of $1000.

It's typically cheaper to foam fill the tires if you are in an area or doing work that frequently leads to flats. The foam makes them solid and is about as heavy as WWF. Google it up and see --> don't forget to factor in the cost of re-filling the tires with fluid if you have them filled. I feel that all tractor rear tires should be filled (except lawn mowers, but those aren't "tractors":laughing: -- just kidding--)

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #7  
Does anyone keep a spare wheel and tire for their tractor?? We have had two flats in the last week (one front and sadly one rear) Obviously, my rear (16.9 x 30 R1) would be too costly to have a spare, but having a spare front would be nice. I would love to run across a used 9.5 x 24 front for my Kubota. Any chance of finding a wheel this size? Does anyone sell used tractor wheels and tires? Flats always happen at the worst time, and if you are a weekend warrior, it brings progress to a standstill for a whole week. It's hard to get a repair around here on a weekend.

I have had tractors for a long time and just this summer had 2 flats for the first time. I had the tire shop fix both of them. Took about 3 hours each time to take the tire off, load it, get it fixed, unload it, get it back on. One fix was $20 and the other was $40.

What I have done now is become self sufficient. I bought the $45 Harbor Freight Tire Changer, 2 $5 tire irons also from HF, a extra tube for the front tire, and a nice patch kit. I can now handle most any situation that will come up on my own.

Chris

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #8  
For front tires I can see myself taking them off and swapping, but the rears would be a bear. I'm guessing the rimguard alone is around 300 pounds for the 15x19.5 tires. I'd be squashed if I tried to take them off. :)

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #9  
I keep two spare tire for the front and one for the rear on all three of my tractors. I do alot of pasture mowing after work and cant afford to b shut down. Also came in handy this year when i was baleing and had a flat at 8:30 pm. With my spare i was able to complete job.

/ Spare tires for tractors?? #10  
I keep two spare tire for the front and one for the rear on all three of my tractors. I do alot of pasture mowing after work and cant afford to b shut down. Also came in handy this year when i was baleing and had a flat at 8:30 pm. With my spare i was able to complete job.

I would imagine if you make money with your tractor, having spares is not only mandatory but VERY justifiable as far as cost.

I think a spare front wheel/tire combo for my machine is $600. For what I do, not only can I not justify it, I don't need it. But if your working and being down costs you money, $600 is nothing. Not to mention, the $600 is a "one time" investment. Being able to "fix and rotate" when time permits gets a lot of bang for your buck out of that one spare.