Rock Skidding

/ Rock Skidding #11  
I know it is "BAD PRACTICE", but for stuff the FEL can't quite lift it sometimes works to get the bucket under it, then put the hoe up on the stabilizers, lift as much as as you (almost) can with the FEL and pray that nothing gives out when you take the hoe off it's legs.

As I said, for stuff the FEL can't quite lift.
At 3,000 lbs I probably would have tried it - assuming good R4s with maybe 40 psi on the front.
If it is light enough that the bucket can get under it.... it may be worth a try.
A judgement call (-:

It doesn't work if you have big dips to drive through on the way to where you want to put it and it MIGHT be worth extending the hoe to horizontal as a counterweight.

I know, I know, it is MARGINAL at best.

/ Rock Skidding #12  
Reg, I've done stuff like that. You forgot to mention 'hold your breath and hope you don't break anything.'

Once I saw a HUGE rock in the ditch beside the highway. I went and pushed it up the bank so I could lift the FEL up a bit (could not lift it). It rolled back into the FEL and that way when I backed away from the hill the FEL was in the air with the rock in it.

Well, rock-et scientist that I am, tried to drive home with the boulder and it FELL OUT on the highway! I had to scoot it about a hundred yards down to past the guardrails and push it into the ditch again. Dumb dumb dumb. Luckily we live in the middle of noplace and no vehicles or LEO's came by.

/ Rock Skidding #13  
Reg, I've done stuff like that. You forgot to mention 'hold your breath and hope you don't break anything.'

Once I saw a HUGE rock in the ditch beside the highway. I went and pushed it up the bank so I could lift the FEL up a bit (could not lift it). It rolled back into the FEL and that way when I backed away from the hill the FEL was in the air with the rock in it.

Well, rock-et scientist that I am, tried to drive home with the boulder and it FELL OUT on the highway! I had to scoot it about a hundred yards down to past the guardrails and push it into the ditch again. Dumb dumb dumb. Luckily we live in the middle of noplace and no vehicles or LEO's came by.

That's probably why it was in the ditch to begin with :laughing:
Good story!

/ Rock Skidding #14  
That's probably why it was in the ditch to begin with :laughing:
Good story!

I wonder if the guy who dropped it the FIRST time found it in it's new location and tried yet again to haul it to his house in the opposite direction ?
(-:

/ Rock Skidding #15  
I wonder if the guy who dropped it the FIRST time found it in it's new location and tried yet again to haul it to his house in the opposite direction ?
(-:

Ha ha. I better go check. Don't want anybody gettin my rock!

/ Rock Skidding #16  
from looking at the pic we may have to change your name from stonehaller to stonehead :laughing:

/ Rock Skidding #17  
How did the fossils survive the trip? I hope well enough that you at least got credit for moving it!

/ Rock Skidding
The fossils held up pretty well. It looks like a piece of sea floor and is loaded with small fossils and some large coral.

My wife is a rockhound and does lapidary. She is always finding rocks for me to haul.

Sent from my iPod