bucket position when parking

/ bucket position when parking #21  
I always run the control arm in circles to reduce the pressure and call it good. It is up on it's toes a bit, (toothbar)

Last edited:
   / bucket position when parking #22  
I usually park the 3720 with bucket to a slight dump to drain the water from either snow or mud in the bucket. As said before, after shutting the tractor down, wiggle the joystick a bit to release the pressure in the FEL. In the summer, i park it with the bucket flat in the ground. I also flip the seat up, not because the barn leaks, but because the cats like to sleep on it. :mad:

/ bucket position when parking #23  
I also flip the seat up, not because the barn leaks, but because the cats like to sleep on it. :mad:

I think our cats are related. :D I like to leave the seat up as well. Wife hasn't complained yet. :laughing:

/ bucket position when parking #24  
I don't mind the cat sleeping there so much as the claws poking holes in the seat..

Sean

/ bucket position when parking #25  
I have never had a hydraulic cylinder rust on anything. We (and almost every other farmer around) didnt have sheds to store all the disks and stuff with cylinders on them back in the 60's and left them set all fall and winter till spring when we started again. I never saw any pitting or rust form on the chrome plating on the rods on any of our hydraulic cylinders. The cylinders we use today may or may not be as well plated. I never worry about them on my FEL now and they stay super shiny. Use your own discretion, oil or grease or leave them as is, I think you will have the same results. Folding them in would prevent accidently dropping something on them and chipping the chrome plating. I wouldnt keep my exposed cylinders anywhere close to welding or grinding operations either.

Many cylinders on newer equipment are made from nitro rod (flat black color) instead of being chromed. It does have some corrosion resistance, but I would guess it would be less than chrome.

/ bucket position when parking #26  
Many cylinders on newer equipment are made from nitro rod (flat black color) instead of being chromed. It does have some corrosion resistance, but I would guess it would be less than chrome.

The cylinders on my BH are flat black, the book says they are less likely to pit than the chrome ones. It sits outside when not being used, the only cylinder extended is the dipper and I spray that with lube when it's parked. So far no pitting.
The tractor lives in the shop when not in use so I tip the bucket leading edge down a little bit then after shut down of the engine relax the lift arms until the edge is on the floor. Can't take any bites out of my ankles then.

/ bucket position when parking #27  
I think our cats are related. :D I like to leave the seat up as well. Wife hasn't complained yet. :laughing:

its even worse when the skidsteer is home since the seat cant flip up. :mad: They get it muddy, make it smell wonderful, and sleep there. Wish it was an enclosed cab. :(

/ bucket position when parking #28  
I don't even own a cat, but one seems to find it's way into the shelter. I don't mind the paw prints on the seat that much, I figure it keeps the mice away.

I always park with the cylinders fully retracted. My thinking is less worry about pitting the rods, or seals getting damaged over time from rust. It can sit for a month or two during the fall or spring when it's too wet for me to do anything .

/ bucket position when parking #29  

I seem to recall seeing some of the smaller JDs with the black rods. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I prefer the chrome finish.

Sean

/ bucket position when parking #30  
My tractor also sleeps with her teeth pointing to the ground. It takes up less floor space in my shop that way. A workshop is like a house...with both you tend to fill them up with more stuff...