Clamp on pallets?

/ Clamp on pallets? #1  

montelatici

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601 and L3560 HSTC LE
Any good and do they make them to fit a loader with tooth bar, without removing tooth bar?

/ Clamp on pallets? #2  
Not sure about toothbar applications. I will tell you that I have a set of light duty (800 lb.) Paynes. The clamp ons always want to twist sideways if you don't hit your target squarely. I've welded some angle iron "wings" onto them and it helps somewhat but doesn't eliminate the problem.
My goal is to eventually convert the bucket to skid steer attach and then purchase a separate set of forks. Much better visibility and stability if you don't happen to get into a pallet (or other load) just right.

/ Clamp on pallets?
Not sure about toothbar applications. I will tell you that I have a set of light duty (800 lb.) Paynes. The clamp ons always want to twist sideways if you don't hit your target squarely. I've welded some angle iron "wings" onto them and it helps somewhat but doesn't eliminate the problem.
My goal is to eventually convert the bucket to skid steer attach and then purchase a separate set of forks. Much better visibility and stability if you don't happen to get into a pallet (or other load) just right.

Thanks, I have a quick connect on my L3700SU, but the pallet forks for a quick connect are so much more expensive. I was just trying to save a buck. But your explanation of the downside is so clear, I think you have convinced me.

/ Clamp on pallets? #4  
Thanks, I have a quick connect on my L3700SU, but the pallet forks for a quick connect are so much more expensive. I was just trying to save a buck.

I grabbed the Payne's because I could get them delivered rapidly and I needed them immediately to unload a steel building that was being delivered to me that particular week. It arrived on a flatbed tractor trailer, with the various sections steel banded together.
They got the job done and have gotten several jobs done since, but at some point in the future I'll bite the bullet and get some "real" forks. If for no other reason than my X ray vision isn't so good and won't let me see through the bucket. :)
If I hadn't the urgent need for them back then, I'd have held off and gone the route of QA and a set of pallet forks. But if the expense is your main objective, the clamp ons will do for you. I've had mine for about 6 years, so for all I know someone has come out with a better design for clamp ons. I'm sure the topic has come up on this forum several times over the years and you could do a search here for more info.

/ Clamp on pallets? #5  
Since you have a quick connect (skid steer) you may be interested in Richie Bros. Auctions. They sell many different kinds of skid steer attachments including several styles of forks. The most expensive is about $400 brand new but it is a no-reserve auction so some go for less.

Check to see if one is in your area or you are willing to travel to pick up a won item. They have Internet bidding that works like eBay at some sites.

Industrial Heavy Equipment Auctions | Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

/ Clamp on pallets? #6  
I can speak only for myself but the set I have can be put on over my tooth bar. Actually the tooth bar helps keep them in place.

Al

/ Clamp on pallets? #7  
I can speak only for myself but the set I have can be put on over my tooth bar. Actually the tooth bar helps keep them in place.

Al

Same here. Mine chain on with load binders. You can put them anywhere between the teeth.

/ Clamp on pallets? #8  
Same here. Mine chain on with load binders. You can put them anywhere between the teeth.

I have a similar set, but they still will go askew if you bump them on the side. I like mine for the price (under $300), but wish I had a dedicated set of loader forks for my skidsteer quick-attach adapter instead.

Attachments

• ChainFork1.jpg
    ChainFork1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 140
  • ChainFork2.JPG
    ChainFork2.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 148