Game Food Plots

/ Game Food Plots #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
What is everyone up to with new food plots this year? Any new ideas to nourish the game......I mean your table. I have a couple of new spots I have prepared for greenfields this year. Hope to plant a variety of items, especially put purple top turnip greens all to themselves so they do not get choked out by rye and wheat.

Last May I planted chufa in some areas that were previously deer food plots. The plants grew well, among the other grass and weeds. I ran bush hog over the top of the plants to get rid of some of the taller grass. Will be interesting to see how this works for turkey. The chufa plants are very healthy.

Anyway, what is the progress on your food plots?

/ Game Food Plots #2  
Anyway, what is the progress on your food plots?

Still waiting to find a cheap 2 or 4 row planter :laughing:

In the meantime the animals visit my garden for extra nutrients.

/ Game Food Plots #3  
Still waiting to find a cheap 2 or 4 row planter :laughing:

In the meantime the animals visit my garden for extra nutrients.

How about a used John Deere 2 row 71 Flex planter for $795 + modest shipping? Ken Sweet

Attachments

• jd71flexplanterback795.JPG
    jd71flexplanterback795.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 155
  • jd71flexplanterleftside795.JPG
    jd71flexplanterleftside795.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 143
   / Game Food Plots #4  
Planted my fall plot about 3 weeks ago. Purple top turnips & winfred brassica.
Checked it last sunday, the turnips were up a few inchs, no brassica as yet.
Water, or lack of, as been an issue. But tropical storm hermine should have
solved that problem.

/ Game Food Plots #5  
How about a used John Deere 2 row 71 Flex planter for $795 + modest shipping? Ken Sweet

He said Cheap!!

This may be cheap if your a farmer but to us guys for deer that is crazy money! I see them for sale all the time for $250 for 1 row and see doubles for $600 all the time.

/ Game Food Plots #6  
He said Cheap!!

This may be cheap if your a farmer but to us guys for deer that is crazy money! I see them for sale all the time for $250 for 1 row and see doubles for $600 all the time.

Most All of our customers are food plot guys and are working off a limited budget. When you see something at a sale or on Craigslist, You have to bring them home and start to rebuild them. We do that here, so you don't have to. You get basically what you pay for. Ken Sweet

/ Game Food Plots #7  
Lime, Mow, rototill, broadcast, rain, rain rain rain rain rain rain rain rain rain

Then it rained some more and some more on top of that. Averaged 2 1/2 inch a week from early June through the end of August.

The weeds and native grasses loved it, but not the clover, brassica, turnips, or buckwheat. Really p's me o as those seeds cost an arm and a leg.

Ken Sweet has a point on buying cheap and (having to) work on the equipment for a while. The extra cost may be well worth it for many. I got a cheap 7' pull type double disk this spring. Gave it a total dissasembly, a hose down with the sand blaster, prime, paint, new wood bearings, 5 new disks and all new bolts etc. It works great on turned soil, but not so good on un-turned. Needs more weight. For me, the time I got -- the money not so much. It's a good thing too, as I spent 20-30 hours diddling around with it.

/ Game Food Plots #8  
Then it rained some more and some more on top of that. Averaged 2 1/2 inch a week from early June through the end of August.

Wish we had had some of that. We started good last Spring and then someone turned off the tap. Haven't really had any good rain in over a month. Where are you at?

MarkV

/ Game Food Plots #10  
I planted 2 acres of cereal rye on Labor Day weekend. Also rolled in 15 lbs of rape seed on the patch, along with 600 lbs 10-10-10 fertilizer. My lime was okay. I'm waiting for rain, too. I have an 8 x 8 cabin built there for my blind. I have windows all around, heat, and a table and chairs. I plant a 1/2 acre pea patch there each spring for canning and freezing, and usually something different each year in the remainder of the plot for the wildlife. We have so many deer in this area that the rye doesn't get but a few inches tall before it gets eaten down. Makes for fun hunting.