weights or no weights

/ weights or no weights #1  

matoyan

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100
I have a ford 3400 with FEL that keeps getting stuck in the soft dirt I have. Everytime I try to clear out or work on a patch of overgrown forest, the rear tires keep digging in to the dirt and then I have to go and get my trusty old truck to pull it out. My question is that the tractor came with cast iron weights on the back tires, could those be causing it to get stuck. I know I need some weight in the back to offset a loaded FEL, if I took the weigths off, would I not get stuck anymore. It make sense that the heavier equipment will get stuck versus a lighter one. I have brand new tires (not turf) on all four wheels. I'm just getting tired of my wife busting my chomps about "got stuck again!".

/ weights or no weights #2  
I also find that my tires dig more holes in my soft sandy soil without my normal implement on the back. With the added weight it's much better in my situation. 4wd also helps.

/ weights or no weights #3  
Having weight on the rear should help balance which should give the rear tires grip..my rear tires loaded also I'll hook up rear attachment for more rear weight..also easier to steer.

/ weights or no weights #4  
Getting unstuck easier seems to be a better answer. If you're working in the woods chances are the grounds never gonna dry out. I would have recommended getting different tires but since you said they were new that's a waste of money. I'd suggest a couple of things.

1. Get a ballast box for the 3PH. Put some weight in it and then throw in a come-a-long to pull yourself out if you do get stuck. if you're working in the woods you can usually find a tree to pull off of.

2. Depending on how much weight you're moving with the FEL taking off the wheel weights may not be a good idea unless you can make it up with the added ballast.

3. If you have FWD you can reverse your front tires. My manual actually recommends doing so if you're doing a lot of FEL work. :)7

/ weights or no weights
Thanks for the replies.

/ weights or no weights #6  
What type of new tires? R4's? They are stuck monkeys in the woods. (I know!) Get yourself a GOOD set of chains that won't fall between the treads. MOST chains will fall between the treads of R4's and make them WORSE in the soft areas as they will fill with goo. Get some with rings, etc that will stay on top of the tires. Then you will have to still be careful of the boggy spots. If you have a 3pt rototiller, they are good ballast and can get you unstuck. As long as the way forward is clear. The extra forward push from the tines as it runs has gotten me out of more than a few areas.

Do you have a hand crank come along? Get one. A GOOD one. Then get 1 or 2 (2 is better) nylon tow straps and a 25' chain. I've got many a fond memory of cranking the tension up on the come along, then jumping on the tractor backing 18", jumping off and cranking over and over and over again. I welded up a winch box on wheels. Basically 2 levels, bottom holds the battery, top holds the winch with attachment points for chain. The winch has remote key fob control. Easier than the hand crank, but bulker to carry.

On the weights, if you don't have them, the front will sink farther and the traction will be even less. You may be getting stuck because you don't have enough weight still. Every pound on the loader takes off 1-2 pounds of weight from the rear end. Depends on the tractor geometry. That will allow the tires to spin easy and dig a hole. You should have weight equal to 1.5x the lift capacity of the loader or more. A large heavy weight on the 3pt, tires filled and wheel weights are normally all needed. The 3400 loader is probably rated at 2000 to 2200 pounds, so you should target 3000-3500 pounds of total weight. Yeah, it's a lot. 2wd loader tractors need all that and more!

/ weights or no weights #7  
It might help to know your experience level, ie do you use diff lock, do you know how to use a FEL to help you out etc.?

In all my years of farming, I learned the best time to get unstuck is to do so early on or to realize when you are about to and then drop everything and get out.

As to the weight, I am pretty much in agreement with the good information given. We used a 2WD Case back hoe in the woods for years without getting stuck and there is a LOT of weight on the back of that thing.

There is a thread on the General Forums Attachments on 2WD and FEL, some of those guys who regularly use them can probably give you good advice as I took the easy way out and got a 4WD.

/ weights or no weights
Great information guys and thank you very much.

/ weights or no weights #9  
Would help to know if this is mud, or dry dirt (or wet dirt).
Also help to know if this is really dirt, or if it is sand.

If tires are spinning, then either not enough weight, little to no tread, or dry sand. Need weight to keep the tires from spinning, IMO.

Would like to hear more from matoyan, as to what the conditions are and if any of the above responses match his (her ? ) dilema. :) And do they help and why.

/ weights or no weights #10  
Not anything to add... weight on or behind your rear wheels, helps with traction... also to repeat, the FEL should be able to push or pull your way out. Locking the rear wheels helps me out when my 4x4 fails to get enough traction...