Post hole auger.

/ Post hole auger. #2  
Interesting idea. I doubt it will go through hardpan, and if that sucker ever gets stuck in claycrete or hung up on a root or rock...it could get ugly.

/ Post hole auger. #3  
that sucker ever gets stuck in claycrete or hung up on a root or rock...it could get ugly.

Exactly what I was thinking. Clay on my land and I know that I'd better be yanking that 12" auger up every so often to let it spin and clean it and the hole out.
Let that sucker run down the length of the auger and the 3 point on the JD 790 I used to have wouldn't pull it up. Kinda thinking the result would be the same with my Kubota B3030.

/ Post hole auger. #4  
Everyone should take notice that this was apparantly in a field with nice, deep topsoil. In my younger days(edit.. I believe even now,) I really believe I could have made that hole in that soil with a pair of posthole diggers in less time. Granted, I wouldn't have been drinking water in the middle of the act, but I also wouldn't have had that contraption, the gas can and all that stuff to haul down the line either.

/ Post hole auger. #5  
would have been funny if it hit a root or something and started cork screwing it's way into the ground. Then of course catching and flipping the whole contraption through the air. Of course only funny if no one gets hurt, maybe just slapped a little :D

/ Post hole auger. #7  
That's a big 10-4 Timber. I was digging some holes yesterday with a A300 Bobcat and one nasty 12" auger, the type with carbide inserts. I was hitting rocks that would stall that digger - I wouldn't want to be standing next to that contraption in the video when it hooked into one of those rocks! You might have to wait for it to run out of gas before it stopped spinning... :D

/ Post hole auger. #8  
Have him bring it to Branson, Mo, :laughing:
I will bring the popcorn and soft drinks, you all bring your own chairs, and we would have us a "show" when that thing hits the shelf rock, about 6 inches down at most.!
James K0UA

/ Post hole auger. #9  
Exactly what I was thinking. Clay on my land and I know that I'd better be yanking that 12" auger up every so often to let it spin and clean it and the hole out.
Let that sucker run down the length of the auger and the 3 point on the JD 790 I used to have wouldn't pull it up. Kinda thinking the result would be the same with my Kubota B3030.

When I had my 3PH PHD, I was drilling a 12" diameter hole down 4' (frost-line is 3') when the dam thing caught on something and wouldn't come out of the hole. It was stuck up to the gearbox. I tried gently rocking the thing back and force like one does with a stuck car in winter. Eventually that did the trick, and I got the PHD unstuck. After I finished the last of the holes for my project I decided I was going to sell or trade that evil thing.

/ Post hole auger.
Ok, everybody seems to think it's a POS, but compare it to one like this one. Which one would you sooner use under all the same conditions and situations mentioned?
post-hole-digger.jpg