50 Hour Service Question

/ 50 Hour Service Question #1  

msb1766

Platinum Member
Tractor
SC2450 Cub Cadet/Yanmar
I have a Cub Cadet Yanmar Sc2540 and have about 12 hours to go and I will be at the 50 hour service interval. Change oil/filter & hydraulic oil/ filter.

Do I retract the cylinders on the backhoe to get all the fluid out?
When changing the hydraulic fluid.

The bucket and dipperstick are fully extended when the backhoe is transport mode (not in use).

/ 50 Hour Service Question #2  
I have read a lot of these type threads. Changing the engine oil and filter is pretty universal and I never question that. But the Hydraulic oil and filter in my mind is questionable. This year I bought a new McCormick C80L which is a 74 HP utility tractor. It recommends the first engine oil change at 100 hours, hydraulic filter only at 500 hours, then changing the hydraulic filter and oil at 1000 hours. Do they not know what they are talking about?

Now you always hear that you need to change the hydraulic oil to get out the little tiny bits of metal from manufacturing. Well is not that what the filter is for? Most hydraulic filters are good to at least 10 microns and many will filter smaller than that. No way the oil is ruined with 50 hours on it and should not the filter take care of the rest?

I have several farmer friends that have never changed their hydraulic oil and they have several thousand hours on their tractors, just changed the filters. They have not had problems yet.

I do believe in changing all fluids at some point and since I do not put hundreds of hours on my equipment in a year I chose 600 hours as my change all the fluids point. I change engine oil and filter every 100 hours. My tractors also sit in a stable temperature environment, an insulated and heated garage. If they sat outside I would do more frequent changes.

So what do the members of the forum think? Is the filter capable of catching all the manufacturing particles every one is so worried about? Is the hydraulic fluid really bad at 50 hours? Or is this scheme just a ploy for the dealers to make some extra money?

Last edited:
   / 50 Hour Service Question #3  
Storm makes a great point, but I guess I'm just a picky old grandma when it comes to the first hydraulic fluid and filter change. A hydrostatic drive I think is more susceptible to the need for this first fluid and filterchange than is a hydraulic system, but I'm still one to do that first quick change of fluid and filter. After that I feel comfortable running it the factory specified number of hours.

edit addition: I should point out that I do most all of my own work, so it only costs me the fluid and filter, I'm not paying the dealer, or anyone else, for the priviledge.

Just my **** retention I suppose.

My $0.02,

/ 50 Hour Service Question #4  
This has been a bit of a debate on many of the forums here, in many colors.

Kubota has recently begun to specify filter only at 50 hours, on many (most) of their models.

I agree that Hydro transmissions run a lot of heat. Still, the bigger issue for me at 200 hours or so would be contamination due to moisture.

But to the OP. If your manual still calls for a complete fluid dump and new filter at 50 hours, you gotta do it. Period. You certainly don't want any warranty questions to arise. Follow your manual. It was written for your specific tractor. Idle internet speculation won't cover any potential issue, only your warranty will and that is kept in force by proper maintenance according to the schedule printed in your manual.

If you manual does NOT call for a fluid dump at 50 hours, then it is a waste of money and resources to do so. Follow the OEM's schedule on this issue.

/ 50 Hour Service Question #5  
I have a Kioti 3054xs TLB (gear/shuttle) and my dealer told me not to worry about changing out the hydraulic oil at 50 hrs; just clean-or-change the hydraulic filter(the filter is serviceable on this unit) at the 50hr service. He recommended I change the fluid at about 250/300 hrs, with another filter service. I cleaned the filter at 50 and changed it and the fluid at about 260hrs with no ill effects

/ 50 Hour Service Question #6  
This weekend I did the 50 hour service on my Kubota M8540HD. It is a Hydraulic Shuttle transmission.

My book called for the hydraulic fluid to be completely drained (along with filters and engine oil of course). My dealer said I could probably get away with just filters, however I wanted to do it "by the book" per se.

When I pulled my filters off, the magnetic rings had quit a bit of metal shavings on them. Not enough to cause me any concern, however it was enough to make me happy I was swapping the fluid. When I was transferring the drained fluid back into the empty containers, I noticed a lot of tiny metal bits in the bottom of the drain container. Again, no conern but am glad I changed the fluid.

I don't think anyone disputes the fluid itself still has life in it. The main reason to drain the fluid at 50 hours is to get out the bits of metal floating around in there. There are a lot of parts breaking in and seating to each other: gears, clutch packs, main brakes, pto brake, pumps, etc. The filters cannot get everything.

I think it is critical to go by your manual. Not all tractors are created equal. Not all "same brand" "same size" tractors are created equal either. Transmission types probably have some factor in the manufacturer deciding what needs to be changed at the 50 hour mark. I would guess hydraulic-type trannys (hydraulic shuttle, HST, etc.) probably require a full drain more so than a straight gear with standard clutch type tranny.

/ 50 Hour Service Question #7  
Correct. Whether or not the total fluid drop is mandated is not consistent, even within a certain OEM's line. Kubota, for example, has some that call for a total fluid drop, and others that merely require the filter be changed. Go figure.

You cannot go by what others do. The service schedule is rather unique for each tractor and is printed in your owners manual. Again, these required service intervals are necessary to maintain your warranty. Last thing anyone needs is having warranty issues denied for lack of proper servicing as per schedule.

/ 50 Hour Service Question
I am going by what the manual says to do at 50 hours.
But what about my question about retacting the backhoe cylinders to get all the fluid out of the cylinders.

/ 50 Hour Service Question #9  
I am going by what the manual says to do at 50 hours.
But what about my question about retacting the backhoe cylinders to get all the fluid out of the cylinders.

Yes, but still, it is virtually impossible to get it all out.

/ 50 Hour Service Question #10  
No matter how you do it, you're going to have at least one cylinder extended, unless you chainfall the extended boom/dipper to a tree and then you have the swing and loader lift and curl cylinders to consider :confused2: