Who remembers when

/ Who remembers when #1  

Timber

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Dad hitched an old horse drawn plow to the back of an AG tractor and turned to you and said son get up in that seat right there and work that plow while I pull you through the field. You get up on that contraption and set your heals into the steering and grab on to the levers to set the blades. I might have been 10 years old. You drop off the header into the field and ease the blade into the earth and then she bites and starts to roll the earth over. Your doing your best to keep a strait line but never strait enough for dad. Your legs are so tired and then you reach the header on the other end and you can relax for a minute or 2 as dad swings the plow around for the next pass. You drop the other blade and she bites hard and this is your weak arm. Dad yells because you bit to deep and stopped the tractor. A new bite and the soil rolls off that shiny blade. 1/2 a day goes by and 2 dozen stone threaten to turn you over or tear your arm out of the shoulder and you just wish the sun would set so the day would end. Do you remember when. I have that plow to this very day so I would never forget. I keep it in perfect working condition

Gingerpond2033.jpg

/ Who remembers when #2  
I see one plow, and no seat, but two handles.

I remember doing that and it sure was better than following a team of three horses, trying to keep them in line and all the rest at the same time.

/ Who remembers when #3  
Great picture and story, I missed out on that by a couple of years.

/ Who remembers when #4  
I recently plowed a field with a team of three horses on a almost brand new Pioneer plow. I really enjoyed that. My only problem was getting everything swung around at the end of each furrow and starting straight. What I like about horses is that there is no noise, and no smoke. All you hear is the plow slicing though the earth.:cloud9: (maybe not quite cloud 9 but I enjoyed it)
Tucker

/ Who remembers when #5  
I'm young enough to have missed it too. My Grand Dad had a poppin' Johnny and all the trimmin's by the time I came along. The only horses on the place were cow horses. Maybe there's a lot to be said for youth after all.

/ Who remembers when
Yes sadly the seat and the spring plate it mounted on went MIA by the time I retrieved the plow from my dad some years ago. My dad bought a small horse farm in NC about 8 years ago and I was helping him move when I saw he still had that old plow. I asked him if I could have it and He couldn't understand why I wanted it. I told him that I earned it with the years of my childhood sweat I put into that old iron. I don't think it meant much to him but to me it is a big piece of my past. Every time I look at it I travel back to the days I was a boy and remember how much I hated it. As a man I see a piece of my past that shaped who I am today. It can only mean something to me. I hadn't seen it in 30 years when I asked my dad for it. When I saw it after all those years the flood of memory overwhelmed me and I never realized how important those early days really are to us. I think my dad saw it in my eyes when I looked at it and asked him for it. I guess it is kinda silly but sometimes thinks can hit you pretty hard.

/ Who remembers when #7  
Good story... that's pretty neat to have the same plow... too bad about the seat. Looks good in the yard... :thumbsup:

/ Who remembers when #8  
Ah, yes! My family stopped farming with horses the year I was born so a lot of our implements were converted from horse drawn, and some still had the seats as needed. Gardens were plowed with a walking plow and potatoes hilled similarly. Hay was still raked with a dump rake and pushed to the barn with a push rake to be raised into the mow with slings which were tractor powered now. Oh yah, memories! :thumbsup:

/ Who remembers when #9  
I remember sitting on a sickle bar mower (wheel powered), while my dad pulled me with the tractor. We used to mow the sides of the dirt roads with it. I don't remember why, since we also had a JD sickle bar mower that went behind the JD420. Maybe dad wanted to save the big one for the hay field.

I also remember lots of hours on a trip-type hay rake. Getting yelled at when I hit the foot trip too early. I was about 10 years old. I could barely stay in the seat because my legs were short. We also had a 3ph pto rake that we used. They never did like that one. Of course we always did things the hard way.

/ Who remembers when #10  
Yes, good memories. Indeed, my childhood was spent on a few horse drawn implements, pulled by my Dad on his tractor. Had to step on the lever and raise the mower blade on many an occasion to pass over a rock or what have you. I have no physical items from those days. More than a few regrets about not having something. Just a few old photos. Glad you have the implement.