How much front weight on an L185?

/ How much front weight on an L185? #1  

njrqs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L1-20 DT
Hello all.

I have an L185 2 wheel drive with no FEL.

Using the slasher and back blade gives me the jitters as the front wheels come off the ground all the time.

I am planning to add some weight to the front (can't weld so will have to put some thought into it to tell someone else how to do it)

How much is too much? - Any ideas?

I figure on approx 50kg or similar. I have a large steel wheel off an old pump or something. It miht fit but is REAL heavy.

Thoughts?

Cheers

/ How much front weight on an L185? #2  
Hi Neil
I think you should add enough weight to the front to at least give you the ability to steer (just for safety). some years back i had a Super Dexta and i used to put a swedge block on the front to hold it down probably weight 150 kgs.
vin

/ How much front weight on an L185? #3  
With 2 WD front weights should be added until you have good steering control. Too much weight reduces traction with your implement off and increases load on front tires and bearings. It is best to make the front weights 1) where you can add them in increments so you can adjust and get the right amount 2) removeable so you can take them off when you are finished with the implement.

For 4WD you would wnat weight distribution maximum 40% front, 60% rear. Too much on the front will tear up a very expensive front end.

Suitcase weights made for tractors are the best front weight solution. Used weights are sometimes available. Search TBN for many many posts about adding weight. Many posts use barbell weights that are easily removeable.

/ How much front weight on an L185? #4  
njrgs
There should be a weight bar in front that would hold a maximum of 5 - 55 lbs weights. Depending on which 3 pt. mower you are using, 3 to 5 weights will give you much needed balast. You will be pleasently surprised with the improved stability this weight will give you. If you use tractor weights, bolt them together to prevent squeeking.
Lewis

/ How much front weight on an L185? #5  
I went to the local train yard and they were more than happy to give me some rail iron. Even cut it for me. I have 3 pieces I can chain on to the front of my 245 when needed.

/ How much front weight on an L185? #6  
Neil,

I've got an L210 which may be about the same geometry as your L185. The front bumper is just a piece of 3/8" steel about 8x20". I drilled some holes in it and mounted a couple of really heavy duty shelf brackets. Then I made some loops on top of them to hold a weight bar. I can put barbell weights on it, but I'm too cheap to pay the $0.5/lb for the weights. So, I scrounged a 5 gal round solvent can and used a hole saw to cut holes in the top and bottom. I put a piece of pipe in the hole and then filled the can with all the scrap metal I had, followd with concrete. It ended up weighing about 145 lbs, and that was enough when mounted on my weight bar to give me steering control with my tiller and my box blade. Cheap, and no welding. Doesn't look too bad either. If I painted it, it might even pass as "real" equipment.

Chuck

/ How much front weight on an L185?
Roger

I have looked into the cost and weight of rail line, but am not sure how I could mount it.

Can you send me some pics of them mounted to your L245. I assume you have the same suitcase weight hanger that I do.

Cheers

And some pics of chuck's one too?

Cheers

/ How much front weight on an L185? #8  
I'm in north cental OH and if someone wants weights, I just bought
4 10K fork lifts.
I'm using the fork assy. on my equipment but parting out rest.
I have 1 wt. 1/4" steel box about 24"X40"X6" they filled w/ lead for weight (real heavy 2400#).
I have some thick steel plates that were under and behind batteries.
Some of the painted plates are steel 120# and others are lead 175# each,
what a surprise when I was lifting off by hand.
I've been using machinist's hand book to figure wt.
steel 486.7 #/cu.ft.
lead 709.5 #/cu.ft.
concrete 137#/cu.ft.

/ How much front weight on an L185? #9  
Don't have a cam to take a pic but all I did was put them on top of the "bumper" and use a chain to hold it in place.

Cost was free, CSX yard by my house is more than happy to give away ties and old steel.