Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie

/ Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie #1  

knightrider955

Silver Member
Tractor
Long 560
I just got my first tractor. Its a Long 560 55hp diesel. The temp guage dont work so Im gonns put a new one on it. What temp is a normal temp for it to run at? And what temp is too hot? When it runs the water in the bottom of the radiator is always cool and the water in the top of the radiator is just warm. Mabe the thermostat isnt opening all the way?? Can I run it without a thermostat? Also it has a dummy light for low oil as pressure? Can I put a oil pressure guage on it? The motor in it is brand new (I have reciepts for all the parts) Is there a break in period I should follow? Im not sure the guy knew what he was doing but it does run good.

/ Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie #2  
I would think 180 to 200 would be normal. If it doesn't have a pressure cap on the radiator 212 would bee too hot.

/ Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie #3  
The engine will or should run close to the thermostat temp (whatever the manufacturer recommends there) and it should always be run with one, engine wear and noise is accelerated by cool running you want heat in the engine.

Diesels are notorious for not building heat very quickly so it may not even get to thermostat temp until its worked a little. hth

/ Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie
Well I pulled the upper radiator hose off right above the thermostat and started the tractor and let it idle for 15 minutes. Thermostst didnt open. So maybe its just cold blooded?? Its 65 degrees outside today. Im gonna still put a gauge in but maybe Im just worrying too much. I did see that while it was running, there was bubbling and diesel leaking around one of the injectors where it goes into the head. Maybe it needs a seal?? Any input would be helpful.

/ Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie #5  
Well I pulled the upper radiator hose off right above the thermostat and started the tractor and let it idle for 15 minutes. Thermostst didnt open. So maybe its just cold blooded?? Its 65 degrees outside today. Im gonna still put a gauge in but maybe Im just worrying too much. I did see that while it was running, there was bubbling and diesel leaking around one of the injectors where it goes into the head. Maybe it needs a seal?? Any input would be helpful.
The engine will not warm up properly at idle, so the tstat not opening is not a surprise. After a couple minutes at medium idle start making it work some. Letting them run too cool is a "wet stack" situation leaving unburned fuel on cyl walls and in exhaust. The stuff remaining in the cyl can wash the cyl walls, dilute the oil, etc.
larry

/ Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie #6  
Pull the thermostat and drop it into a pot of boiling water. it should open right up. If not, you need a new thermostat.

Aaron Z

/ Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie #7  
I can't add much to the very good advice you have already received, but I would like to say that I think every tractor owner should own an IR Thermometer. These things are so cheap and so useful that they will pay for themselves Quickly. They are handy anytime you want to measure surface temperature of almost anything. I even use mine to measure oil temperature in my turkey fryer. If you aim the laser dot just below your thermostat on your tractor, you will know exactly how hot the water jacket is. I also aim mine at the radiator bottom and top to see how efficiently it is working. For $20 for the cheap one or $30 for the more expensive one with higher range, they are a bargain. I would recommend the larger one because it uses a 9-volt battery that is a lot easier to find than the button lithium watch batteries in the smaller unit.:thumbsup:

Well I did like you said. I went out and worked it a little by scraping my driveway for 20 minutes or so. Stuck my finger in the radiator and the water was hot. Water in the bottom of radiatior is cool though. Maybe Im just not working it hard enough for it to get warmed up. It seems to run fine. Its only 55 hp 4 cylinder diesel but havent really done anything that seemed to bog it down. Im impressed, but then again I dont know much about tractors.

/ Diesel Tractor, Hot hot is too hot? Im a newbie #9  
Well I pulled the upper radiator hose off right above the thermostat and started the tractor and let it idle for 15 minutes. Thermostst didnt open. .

Now that is strange if I read you right because almost every system I ever saw would have some circulation past even a tight thermostat since the water pump is pushing coolant or supposed to be?!

My diesel tractor wont open the thermostat ever at an idle fyi.

Now that is strange if I read you right because almost every system I ever saw would have some circulation past even a tight thermostat since the water pump is pushing coolant or supposed to be?!

My diesel tractor wont open the thermostat ever at an idle fyi.

There was some water seeping past the thermostat. I was expecting it to open up after a few minutes. But I guess I need to work it a little for it to get warm enough.