3-Point Hitch Yet another 3 point hitch question

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
Hello, I am having this battle with my 3 point hitch when hooking up and am wandering what you guys do to solve this without using a quick hitching method. I back up close to the implement, spread my lifting arms so they can go onto the pins, hop into the tractor and back up carefully and slowly just to have the arms close back up on me. I have also tried it where I back up rest the arms on the pins (obviously the arms are close together cause I can't keep them apart) open the arms to find out that I now have to move the tractor forwards so they line up.
How do you guys hook up your 3 point hitch and keep your arms open so you can line up and hook up?

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #2  
I try and get the arms below the pins... you can lift the arms up easily. Then there's pushing and shoving the implement and/or the tractor tire. Once you get one locked on, I use the tilt feature on one of the side arms to get the other pin on... a few cuss words and swears... and you're done :eek:

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #3  
check where your turnbuckles attach to the tractor...there should be flat metal tabs that move up and down as the arms are drawn in or out...opening the turnbuckles and (manually) lifting these tabs up should hold the arms out (apart)...another option is a couple of bungy straps...

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #4  
I notice you have a BX2660, on mine I just reach back with my cane. Any kind of stick should work.

Some users have fabricated spacers from PVC.

The easiest way I have found is to draft one of my sons to do it on the bigger tractors. Three point hitch is one of those instances in which youth and brawn trumps age and wisdom every time.:laughing:

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #5  
I usually start with my 3PH raised all the way up. I back up until the arms are over the toplink A-frame and then lower the arms onto the tops of the hitch pins. I slowly drive forward until one of the arms is in perfect position above a hitch pin, and then set the brake and get off the tractor. I hook up the one arm and the toplink and then drive forward or backward enough to line up the other arm depending on where it is or how straight I am. Some implements can be moved easily into place without moving the tractor. That's the way I did it before having extendable links and TnT. Now, I get things close and use all the nice features to make hooking up easy. Of course, some implements don't have an A-frame, but most do.

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #6  
I 've cut 3/4 inch pvc pipe to the appropriate length for each of my attachments to spread the arms. I then wedge the pipe between the arms and back up.

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #7  
I 've cut 3/4 inch pvc pipe to the appropriate length for each of my attachments to spread the arms. I then wedge the pipe between the arms and back up.
Got Photos of them??? :thumbsup:

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #8  
Got Photos of them??? :thumbsup:

Nope, but I 'll work on that. Rainin' outside right now. Its simple though. Just a piece of pvc cut at the right length to spread the arms. 1/2 inch would probably work, but 3/4 was what I had layin' around. So cheap to do I can 't even put a price on it. I got one for a carry all and one for a bush hog. Just wrote on them with permanent marker to identify. If ya wanted to go further you could slide smaller o.d. pipe into large with some drilled stop holes marked for individual implements. Extend to correct hole and just insert a nail or somethin' in stop hole.

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question
TripleR said:
I notice you have a BX2660, on mine I just reach back with my cane. Any kind of stick should work.

Some users have fabricated spacers from PVC.

The easiest way I have found is to draft one of my sons to do it on the bigger tractors. Three point hitch is one of those instances in which youth and brawn trumps age and wisdom every time.:laughing:

The cane wouldn't work cause I have a cab on it and I don't have anyone to help me with hooking up (so that leaves with age and wisdom to try and figure it out)

/ Yet another 3 point hitch question #10  
Good luck because if I had to rely on age and wisdom, I'd be in trouble.:laughing:

Actually, I grew up doing this and always managed somehow. As mentioned, spacers can be made out of PVC or you can notch a plank, bend some conduit etc. I have learned however that there is no really easy way without quick hitch, but I haven't even bothered to put mine on yet.