Frozen turnbuckles - L4200

/ Frozen turnbuckles - L4200 #11  
Guys on the old car sites I frequent say that a 50-50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid is the best. The acetone carries the fluid lubricant
through the rust and then evaporates leaving the lubricant. Some say to heat the part and apply candle wax to the threads, the heat draws the wax in.

/ Frozen turnbuckles - L4200 #12  
Tried it all. Locknuts are free. Did beat on them with a hammer with no effect. Pipe wrenches couldn't grab the skinny bars.

I'm wondering if dropping the whole assy into a tub of Kroil or some similar kind of super-penetrating oil for a few days would do it. 'Course, finding a suitable container to fill up is the hard part, not to mention procuring that amount of penetrant.

JayC

I've had good results soaking parts in kerosene for a few days. Heating oil would probably work too.

/ Frozen turnbuckles - L4200
I've had good results soaking parts in kerosene for a few days. Heating oil would probably work too.

Well, I just did a fluid change on my tractor this past weekend, so I DO have 14 gallons of transmission fluid and engine oil sitting in the back of my truck...

Dang - I knew I should've kept those assys out of the tractor instead of putting it back together before I came home (tractor is at my camp). Oh well - looks like I'm tearing it apart again this weekend...

JayC

First of all, quit expecting ANY penetrant to instantly free up anything rusted up! It isn't going to happen. Just keep shooting enough on it everyday to keep it wet and give it time to work. Maybe a week or two even.Then have a go at them! Your brakes haven't been adjusted for quite some time now (obviously, since the adjusters are rusted solid) so what's the rush? :)

I'm sorry Mace, but with that avatar of yours, I am having trouble taking anything you say seriously...

Oh, the pitfalls of comedy :)

You are correct however, no rush (at least until it gets cold...I hate working on machines in the cold)

JayC

/ Frozen turnbuckles - L4200 #15  
in the end.. if they break and don adjust.. see if you can fab them. I can tell you I sure have fabbed clutch and brake actuator rods from clevis ends, and rods and threaded couplers before.. plus a few welding rods..

soundguy

/ Frozen turnbuckles - L4200 #16  
I'm sorry Mace, but with that avatar of yours, I am having trouble taking anything you say seriously...

Oh, the pitfalls of comedy :)

JayC

I guess I should have used this one instead, eh?

2007-07-31-SamChrisDoddAm.jpg

/ Frozen turnbuckles - L4200 #17  
Break em and sailboat fittings should have something that fits.:thumbsup:

/ Frozen turnbuckles - L4200 #18  
or this one!

soundguy

Attachments

• 200px-Talosian_keeper.jpg
    200px-Talosian_keeper.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 66
   / Frozen turnbuckles - L4200 #19  
in the end.. if they break and don adjust.. see if you can fab them. I can tell you I sure have fabbed clutch and brake actuator rods from clevis ends, and rods and threaded couplers before.. plus a few welding rods..

soundguy

Yes, there is a huge supply of components for hotrods since they always route the clutch linkage around in impossible ways.

Done it for my CJ7 recently, but I used steering linkage from a lawn tractor for years.

soundguy

Once I gave up on loosening the turnbuckles, I was going to cut n' weld them to force the adjustment. I figured I'd never have to adjust them again anyway. Once I took measurements, however, I found that I had to take out roughly two threads to drop the inch of extra travel. What with having to match the two sides, I didn't feel confident that I could do the work with that kind of precision. OTOH, if I decide that I have nothing to lose...

As the infamous KennyV said, "I know for $110 I would keep at it until they came apart or were in liquid form".

Reverend.

JayC