tree skidding tongs

/ tree skidding tongs #1  

papavillars

I have several trees that have fallen or i have cut down. My brother -in-law found a log skidding tong at the fence company he works for. I understand they work like ice tongs , but where do you hook them up. Obviously the rear and the tree end has to be raised a little. Any info would be appreciated, and pics would be great.

/ tree skidding tongs #2  
I had a set I got at Tractor Supply (like $70), bent them in a circle first use. They looked HEAVY but slipped a bunch and got torn up. Lucky they have a good return policy!
Anyway, now I just wrap a chain around the end of the log and pull it out. Works great

/ tree skidding tongs #5  
At the risk of being accussed of putting you in danger here is a picture of what I use. It is a draw bar that goes between the lift arms and a tractor hook. Both available at tractor supply. Be sure the tractor hook is big enough to accomodate the ring on the tongs. Just read the above thread and be careful.

gg

Attachments

• TongSetUp.JPG
    TongSetUp.JPG
    632.4 KB · Views: 1,338
   / tree skidding tongs #6  
This is what I use. I made it out of an old reciever hitch a draw bar and some steel tubing. Handiest thing I've built for my tractor. Before the safety police beat me up, know your limits your tractors limits and pay attension and you'll be fine. No matter what you do logging is a deadly profession so be carefull.

Attachments

• Kubota trailer mover.jpg
    Kubota trailer mover.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 980
   / tree skidding tongs #7  
The tongs that Gordon has are very good for the use. I have those as well as the Tractor Supply (Northern Tool) model which require some sharpening and care.

Here is a photo of my set up for carrying logs and lifting for sawing but it can be used to drag them as well with either set of tongs. The big difference is that they have to be dragged backwards but that is not a problem in my application. When carrying them it can be in forward and reverse of course.

/ tree skidding tongs #8  
I tried a couple different pairs of tongs to no success, kept slipping off

A slip hook and a chain seems to work well for me, or, bucking and trailering them if possible.

Using the chain works best if you can get the log off the ground a bit (put another log under the end) when you chain it up so the end isn't dragging as bad

/ tree skidding tongs #9  
I have a pair of log tongs, two short pieces of chain and hooks on the top of my bucket -- lower the bucket, hook the log tongs to the chains and the chains to the bucket hooks, raise the bucket and works like a charm:thumbsup: I always have the tongs in my logging carryall
On the three point I use a piece of chain wrapped aroung the log and a "tractor hook"on the drawbar to hook it to

/ tree skidding tongs #10  
Some tongs are designed to work very well, and some don't work at all.
I have an old set that works great. But some I've seen that my buddies find on the cheap, just are not worth the bother to mess with.

Tongs are great to lift the log so a chain can be put around it to hold it more securely.

I don't trust the tongs to hang on to a log, as a rotten spot or a poor grab can let the log drop quickly.

I use the tongs a lot, and throw them over the top hook of the iMatch quick hitch.

Attachments

• Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 4,036