Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740 HST

Default Northern Tool Chain versus Oregon Chain Saw Sharpener

Anyone know anything about Northern Tool Chain Saw Sharpener? Saw one on Chain Saw Reviews - Electric,Gas, Stihl, Husqvarna, Homelite and Echo Chainsaws for about 90 bucks but the grinding head has no angle on it like the Oregon sharpeners.
    Northern Industrial Bench or Wall-Mount Saw Chain Sharpener
    Northern Industrial Bench or Wall-Mount Saw Chain Sharpener

Model Number : 193020
    Price : $90.26
    Products Description : Versatile unit can be mounted on your workbench or wall for best results when sharpening your saw chain. Sharpens chains from 1/4in. to 3/4in. pitch 110V, 60 Hz motor 3600 RPM 230 Watt motor input power Disc guard 15 Watt lamp Chain must be removed from saw before sharpening Some assembly required

I will be sharpening chains for the next couple of months as we prepare winter...I was looking at the Oregon Model 108181 for 200 hundred bucks...
    I've seen various posts on chain saw sharpeners but noticed that there wasn't one brand that seemed to be anyone's favorite.

Tractor
    kubota L3400HST

Default Re: Northern Tool Chain versus Oregon Chain Saw Sharpener

I have the Northern Tool sharpener and I am very pleased with it. I made some modifications (mostly smoothing burrs, etc.) based on recommendations found on arboristsite.com . Go to Arboristsite.com , search Northern Tool sharpener, and you will find a wealth of information.
    L3400HST, L463 FEL, Markham toothbar, Markham Grapple, Woods BH80-X, 5 1/2' United box blade,6' Leinbach scrape blade, Pallet forks, 5' King Kutter RM, 56" First choice tiller, Leinbach rake

Quote Originally Posted by nebraskasparks View Post
    but the grinding head has no angle on it like the Oregon sharpeners.
    It sure does- has the exact same adjustments as the Oregon one. I am happy with my NT "copy". Like the above poster I had to clean mine up a little, the bottom hemisperical part was a little balky at first until I de-swarfed it.

Tractor
    Kubota B1750

I use HF copy. $30 or so on sale. For 4 years now I sharpen my chains with it and it works fine.
    Regards,

Prokop

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

I average about two or three sharpenings a season, and I heat mostly with wood. At five bucks a shot, why do you guys bother with those contraptions? I guess if you have a tree company it might make sense..
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

When I'm cutting wood I might run through two or three chains a DAY, and no I'm not in the business
    Not to mention the time/cost of taking them somewhere to get sharpened then a return trip to pick them up....
    The HF sharpener is nothing like the NT copy of the Oregon, bought one from HF and not real pleased with it...the NT copy is 5 times better for 3 times the price

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case 1845C skidsteer

I still sharpen with a file. If I count the strokes for each tooth I can keep the teeth even enough to cut well. I sharpen often. Even if the chain don't need much, at 68 I need the rest. If a tooth really gets buggered, I don't try to take all the blemish with a one sharpening.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740 HST

Thanks gents!

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Yes sir I do the NT that is and like it very much hard to beat for the money!

I might add Arborist Site has a looong long running thread about it lots of good reading!

Btw mine has all the scales an Oregon has there some other thing it lacks in comparison but thats for another thread like AS.

Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

I thought you guys were talking about those dremmel-type things, sorry, I'm way out of date.. those in the link look pro.
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast