Finally did it.

/ Finally did it. #1  

BigDave

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D
Well after owning my tractor for little over 2 months now, and logging about 30 hours, I finally did it. Now being a neophyte tractor guy, I have lifting up the front wheels off the ground a little too often while doing ground engaging loader work, but I was awfully confused when I began lifting the front wheels off the ground without my loader. It happend last night when I pulled my tractor into the shed. I would get the tractor 3/4 of the way in and the front wheels would start lifting off the ground. I backed up, pulled in again, and the tires lifted up again. Gosh, I must be running over something; hopefully not my brand new chainsaw. I got off and looked underneath. Woohoo, I not running over anything. It must be that dang ramp; it shifts sometimes. The ramp looks O.K., so enter enter the shed again with my eye on the ramp. The ramp looked O.K., but the wheels lifted again. It must be some strange gravitational field or some interspatial vortex preventing from pulling into my shed, or maybe, just maybe, I left the ROPS up. Dooh!!! I was dreading the day that I would leave the rops up, but now that I finally did, it wasn't soo bad. The shed now has some character with it's two dents above the door. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Finally did it. #2  
OUCH

THAT HURTS

/ Finally did it. #3  
BWWWHAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!

Welcome to the club !! When you first do that, you really do have no idea what is holding the tractor back and making you pop wheelies !

-Duane C.

/ Finally did it. #4  
I cleverly put in 8' high doors when I built my workshop so I would never do that. The second or third time in I didn't get the door open all the way and ran my ROPS right into it. I left it mangled as a reminder. Someday when I'm convinced I'll never do it again I'll fix the door.

/ Finally did it. #5  
i was a farid i would do that and take my door down, so my soultion was a sign i attached to door, as i open door the sign hangs down , impossible to pull out without it hitting me in the face, so as i pull out and sign hits me i stop and hook the bungee cord to the dorr so it stays UP ALL THE WAY.(notice cord hanging from rafter upper left of pic.) when i am ready to close door i just push door up further on its tracks and cord release and the door comes down. should just install automatic opener which would solve the prorblem, but that sign makes a good conversation peice/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 47-203272-doorsign.jpg
    47-203272-doorsign.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 95
   / Finally did it. #6  
Welcome to the ROPS-out-of-sight-out-of-mind-but-hitting-something Club!! I did it the second day I put the tractor away (2 months ago) and then again yesterday! OUCH! It hurts my pride more than the building, but I think I may need one of those warning signs before I have to start a repair fund!

Terry

/ Finally did it. #7  
I just ordered an 8'-6" high overhead door !! Few extra bucks and 6 weeks of delay, but no ROPS whacking for me !!!

/ Finally did it. #8  
All my small doors are 8' tall,the commercial doors are priced by even 2' hts.
6'1" costs same as 8' door so I went w/ all 8'
As u know w/ r-4 u need all the 8' to clear rops.
Put an opener on it, makes it really nice.

/ Finally did it.
Frank,

Good idea!!! I was going to put a bell over my door frame, but a sign would be much easier. Sometimes the simplest idea is the best. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Finally did it. #10  
Well BigDave, I've never hit the door of a shed with my ROPS, but I sure hit a big limb and instead of my front wheels coming off the ground, I ended up with the limb behind my seat and me pushed into the steering wheel. I'm sure glad it wasn't any bigger or I'd have been crushed for sure. Now when I go into my woods, my ROPS gets folded down. I've never rolled a tractor, but I've sure almost got crushed by trying to protect myself from it. I'm pretty sure that when you looked up and saw your door facing you didn't feel any more silly than I did with that 10" diameter oak tree branch laying on my back. Whew! Somebody was looking after me that day. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif