Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny!

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny! #1  

picker77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3032E, dual remotes, TnT, tooth bar, grapple
The more I mess with implements/attachments and tractors the more times I find I need to make choices on the right fasteners to use. So I wanted to pass along a link to a brief but very informative page on the subject. I learned a lot from it, maybe some others will too. BTW, the subject may not be rocket science, but the author actually is a rocket scientist. LOL!

ROCKCRAWLER.com - Grade 5 vs. Grade 8 Fasteners

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny! #2  
Very informative, thank you!
James K0UA

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny! #3  
Nice article. I like his last sentence..."When in doubt, make it stout!" Hard to go wrong with that advice!

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny! #4  
Interesting article, helps to clear up some of the old sayings about the various grades of bolts.

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny!
Actually, the difference in strength isn't as drastic as I expected it would be. However, I like the bonus of the nice finish and gold-anodized color of Grade 8 hardware. Could be my imagination, but they also seem to hold up without corrosion much longer than the white-finished Grade 5 stuff.

I used to go to Lowe's or Ace Hardware for nuts and bolts and such, but then Lowe's started packaging fasteners in cute little individual onesies-twosies plastic packs, and ACE even prices them per each. In either case the total price can be a shock if you need a dozen or more. However, I found out a while back that Tractor Supply sells their fasteners by the pound, and simply charge a different price per pound for each grade. Since I use Grade 8 for almost everything, about every time I'm in there for something I stop by the fastener aisle and load up with another two or three pounds in common lengths and sizes. By so doing I've built up a decent inventory of Grade 8 fasteners in my shop without going broke doing it, and they have come in very handy.

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny! #7  
Finding anybody who sells fasteners by the pound rather than each was a shock to me. Every hardware store I've ever frequented sells everything besides certain prepackaged sizes individually.

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny! #8  
Good information.

Don't forget that there are counterfeit bolts out there too. Usually grade 2 or ungraded made with grade 8 markings. Great way to make 500% profit, as long as you don't mind stuff breaking causing death and mayhem.

You won't find counterfeit USA made bolts...

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny! #9  
Informative but not complete. You are at a big box store and choose grade 8 bolts, what nuts and washers do you get?
The nuts and washers should also be grade 8. Unless marked you will be picking up grade 2 or 5 hardware.
What if you are replacing a lower grade bolt with a higher grade, no nut to screw the bolt into, the frame is tapped?
A] You drill out the tap and use the same grade nuts.
B] You use a longer bolt to thread deeper into the blind pocket.

Washers are stamped or CUT from sheet metal. The stamping causes a slight CROWN in the washer, take advantage of the crown by placing the flat side away from the bolt head or nut.

I have found that the chine's nuts and washers much too soft for the bolts.

/ Grade 5 vs Grade 8 bolts... the hot skinny! #10  
Picker, Race Brothers is another great place to buy grade 5 and grade 8 nuts and bolts by the pound, and also bulk chain, their prices on chain are cheaper than TSC. in all grades. I dont know if you have a Race Brothers store out there in OK land, but we have several in the area here.
James K0UA