will the l5740 be big enough?

/ will the l5740 be big enough? #1  

ravennorth

Im looking to buy a new tractor for the main purpose of moving logs onto a small firewood processor.Most of the logs are fairly small,but in the future i will be selling some larger timber and wonder if i will be able to move those larger hardwood logs with a kubota 5740.I plan on adding a front grapple also and that will weigh about 600lbs.The tractor will be for loading and stacking not skidding.Im looking for someone with a 5740 that has done this kind of work or an experianced operator of similar sized machined to put in their two cents

/ will the l5740 be big enough? #2  
Im looking to buy a new tractor for the main purpose of moving logs onto a small firewood processor.Most of the logs are fairly small,but in the future i will be selling some larger timber and wonder if i will be able to move those larger hardwood logs with a kubota 5740.I plan on adding a front grapple also and that will weigh about 600lbs.The tractor will be for loading and stacking not skidding.Im looking for someone with a 5740 that has done this kind of work or an experianced operator of similar sized machined to put in their two cents

If you don't get any responses here, you might try the Kubota Forum or contact NebraskaSparks or ecoslik as they recently got these tractors. I run a L5030 and M8540, but don't use a grapple.

/ will the l5740 be big enough? #3  
Have you figured out how heavy your logs are likely to be? I've got a older model Kubota with an earlier version of the "8" series loaders; I think it will pick up close to the same as the new ones on a 5740... in the 2,000 lb range. Is that anywhere close to what you need to pick up (knock off the 2-300 lbs additional weight of a grapple vs. a standard bucket)?

We have done quite a bit of log work with it using forks, and it has been a workhorse. The one caution I'd give is that the width, weight and smaller front wheels of this size tractor can make them side-to-side tippy with long logs (say, 20 ft. or more) on uneven ground.