Loader brush cutter

/ brush cutter #1  

picanoor

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 254 John Deere 990-4700-5310-new holland tn65-kubota l3300-l4200Ferguson to 30,1951-to30,1954, ford 2n 1947, ford 2n 1943 jd 5200, jd 301a, alllis chalmers 45c, John Deere 5200
I own a 5310 jd with front end loader and am looking for a hydraulic brush cutter with open end, to put on the front end loader.
The only ones i find on line are for skid steer loaders and need a minimum 16gpm. (5-6ft wide)
Does anybody have experience with a low gpm hydraulic cutters?
Are they avaialble for a front end loader as well??
Are there hydraulic pumps that i can mount direct on the pto to create more gmp, i believe i have seen them for backhoes.
Thanks for your input.

picanoor

/ brush cutter #2  
I've not seen a low gpm rotary cutter. Low gpm usually lacks power. You can do a pto pump, but cost will become a big factor.

/ brush cutter #3  
im almost shure you will need to add second pump on the front of your tractor to run a hydraulic brush cutter, you might look into the front mount hydraulic flail mowers too.

/ brush cutter
Thanks,
I expected to have to add a pto pump, found one on www.splitez.com/pto for about $325.
next question; can i use the 10 gallon hydraulic oil reservoir of the JD 5310 as tank or do i need to add an external tank?
I read somewhere that when using a 20 gpm pump you need a 20 gallon tank.

/ brush cutter #5  
Thanks,
I expected to have to add a pto pump, found one on www.splitez.com/pto for about $325.
next question; can i use the 10 gallon hydraulic oil reservoir of the JD 5310 as tank or do i need to add an external tank?
I read somewhere that when using a 20 gpm pump you need a 20 gallon tank.

Mowing with a hyd mower will add a lot of heat to the system, and I doubt that the tractor reservoir can handle that. Another tank plus a hyd cooler might work if you size it right. You have to match the pump with the HP of the tractor. For instance, this pump requires about 18 HP producing 11.4 HP at 2000 psi.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-1047-2&catname=hydraulic

/ brush cutter
My tractor has 54hp on the pto with a hydraulic capacity of about 11gpm.
But for the skidsteer brush cutters i have seen, they need 16 to 23gpm or higher.
So i need to add a pto pump, tank about 25 gallon and a cooler?
any idea what capacity the cooler need to be?

/ brush cutter #7  
For mobile use, they recommend a 1 : 1 ratio. One gal of tank storage to equal pump GPM.

My post above should have said 11.4 GPM.

/ brush cutter #8  
I am looking for a cutter for my ASV PT100. I need to cut small brush under 3 inch and tall grass. I use the Fecon Mulching head for larger trees. I am looking at the Erskin and Bradco models. The self leveling tilt and float on the Erskin seems neat, just wondering if anyone has tried one

/ brush cutter #9  
I've always been very interested in doing this as well and will be following this thread.
What is the lift capacity of your FEL? Those mowers are pretty heavy but you have a good size tractor and probably no issues there.
My lift capacity is only about 1800lbs or so and considering how far the mowers stick out I don't think my little guy could handle it. :)

I also like the idea of the pto pump so I could run a skidsteer snowblower on the FEL.